4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:31 AM

I know it's fun to act like a big shot and post on a professionals forum. And it's easy enough to (when someone else posts asking for opinions) go out and scour the internet looking for information- find some information- and post it here as if it were your own experience.

If you're a student, you should check with your professors about re-printing someone elses writings without attribution. Particularly when what you've pinched is largely wrong or it is obvious that, at your age, you could not possibly have direct experience on the topic you've picked to expound upon.

For instance:

An 18-year-old kid is most unlikely to have sat in on enough 4K D.I.'s to be able to offer his "expert" opinion on the quality of any D.I. in particular.

You may have read several posts on the topic, scoured a few websites, feel like you've attained a reasonable understanding of what a D.I. is and how it's done and think you are offering sound advice when you pinch someone elses writings and reprint them as your own. But what you've REALLY done is called, "plagiarism".

IF IT'S NOT YOUR OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE- YOU NEED TO POST A LINK TO WHERE YOU GOT THE INFORMATION!

It is NOT OK to just regurgitate it as your own.

For Tim- if you think this is out of line, remove it. But something needed to be said.

#2 G . Stephen Bruno

G . Stephen Bruno
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

cool, a lashing out!
please direct me as to where you were first annoyed at a post. im just nozy and want to see where the fire started.

keep cool

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:10 PM

One should avoid simply cutting & pasting info from other sites unless you set it in quotes and cite the source of the info.

Now if what you're talking about is considered common technical knowledge (for example, that HDCAM is 8-bit, 3:1:1) -- an easily confirmable fact -- you don't need to cite a source (probably the site where you read it was also cribbing from somewhere else anyway.)

I don't have any personal experience with a 4K D.I. myself...

We should all strive to only repeat information that we can verify, and if not, qualify what we say (I heard a rumor that... I think that... Perhaps.... Maybe...) rather than state it as a fact.

Of course we don't have to have the high standards of publishing an academic text, with footnotes and a bibliography -- it's just more useful to everyone if we at least get a sense where the info is coming from.

Just don't outright plagerize someone else's experience or research and pass it off as your own.

#4 Lars.Erik

Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:36 AM

It's a good thing you brought this subject up Tim. But in a forum like this, or any other forum, you have to take the advice you get with a pinch of salt. And in cases where people are clearly talking over their heads, the more experienced ones have a responsibility to say "well that's really stupid advice".

#5 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:25 AM

It is the same thing as politicians: "trust but verify"

The two outlandish posts I saw this week was the one where someone said Jaws 2 was shot in three weeks and the guy who said my friend knew the guy, but I forget his name, who invented using nets behind a lens. But that may be a bit off topic but in the same vein.

Best

Tim

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC