Battle Scene

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MGR Productions

MGR Productions
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

I am looking at ways to film a battle scene (like the ones in LOTR, Kingdom of Heaven, etc.) with a limited amount of people. I need to know how to do that and how many people minimum I will need. I have heard of ways to use cuts to make it seem like there's more people, but I need some help. I also need to find a way to have a way of looking over an entire army without having 1,000 people or some 18,000 software package. I have a lot of software and am willing to buy some if it will help me get this look.
Please help me find the best and easiest way to do this.

Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:38 AM

Obviously the more real people you can get, the easier it will be all around to shoot and post.

You can create a wide shot with a locked-off camera and then moving your crowd (let's say, first to the left, then middle, and then right third of the screen) in separate passes and then creating one big shot using soft split screens, although you may need to do a little roto work. Again, the more people you have, the easier it will be.

In terms of the tighter shots, it just depends on how many people you can get. Lower angles will help hide the lack of people in the distance -- you need enough people to fill the background behind the principle people in the foreground fighting. If you have one hundred versus fifty people versus twenty people, this will affect how wide you can ever shoot the fighting.

#3 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:19 PM

What level of filmmaking are you working in? A computer animator would be great to respond to this one for a 3D answer, but if you are finishing on tape and to add what David mentioned, you could shift the crowds you have to an area without crowds and use a "matte" to keep them off of where they logically wouldn't be. Make it like a Photoshop layer. You could also reduce the size of this layer to give them the right perspective. Shoot like David said with the background battle extras in the foreground and use them to build your troops into the distance. And feather the edges to blend with what you have. Success may depend on your wide shot planning and the location. This is a low budget Final Cut or After Effects solution. Good Luck.

Best

Tim

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

CineTape

Glidecam

Abel Cine

CineLab