Robert Baffert

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:01 PM

HEy guys:

I have a question about using 2 different aspect ratios on a project and what the results will be.

I am shooting a feature using a Panaflex camera at 1.85:1. i am basically using this camera for principle photography and all sync shots.

I will also be using a Konvas 2M, for 2nd Unit stuff and some close quarter handheld shots that dont require sound. the aspect ratio of my 2M is roughly 1.33:1.

all of the film will be telecined for nonlinear editing. will the varying aspect ratios affect the editing program i will be using? also what will happen when i go to project the film? will the 1.33:1 footage simply be cropped down so that it becomes 1.85:1?

any help or recommendations in this issue would be greatly appreciated. thanks all.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:10 PM

Well, you didn't say whether your Konvas is shooting with the lens centered for Full Aperture or Sound Aperture, but if you make a contact print of this footage, yes, it would just get the same 1.85 sound aperture crop during projection as the stuff shot with the Panaflex.

Your 35mm Panaflex, if set-up for standard (sound) 1.85 : 1 is actually exposing Full Aperture (1.33) but the lens is optically shifted for sound aperture shooting, and you're framing for cropping to 1.85. Of course, you could put any manner of hard matte in the gate to just expose either 1.37 Academy (a tiny matte), 1.66, or 1.85. Most people would not use any hard matte and just shoot a framing chart to indicate to the telecine operator the amount of letterboxing needed.

You'd probably use the same framing chart for your Konvas so that everything gets transferred with the same 1.85 letterbox.

Now as to whether this transfer is 16x9 or 4x3, it's up to you -- either type can be letterboxed to 1.85.

I assume this transfer is just for offline editing purposes to generate an EDL, at which point you will finish on film, answer print, make an IP, and then transfer that to video for all your video versions. Or is this transfer the basis for all your home video mastering too? Because then you have to ask yourself some big questions if you think you'll be delivering to HDTV markets, PAL & NTSC, 4x3 & 16x9, etc.

#3 Mikael Lemercier

Mikael Lemercier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France, world.

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:26 AM

hi robert,
if your 2m is centered for sound aperture, like the panaflex you 'd better re-draw on the 2m ground glass the good aspect ratio (1.85:1 is 0.825"x0.446") and shoot a framing chart for each camera for telecinema.
best.
mikael.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:40 AM

I will also be using a Konvas 2M, for 2nd Unit stuff and some close quarter handheld shots that dont require sound. the aspect ratio of my 2M is roughly 1.33:1.

Hi,

2M's are almost always set up for standard aperture. The viewing system does not cover S35, the cost of changing the viewing system is likely to exceed the cost of the camera several times over!

Cheers

Stephen

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Visual Products

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc