Cinematographer and director..differences?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 filmgirl

filmgirl
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:00 AM

A friend and I were talking, and my friend asked why someone would choose to be a director rather than a cinematographer/DP because he couldn't really see a big difference between the two positions. I wasn't able to really articulate that well the differences as I have no real practical experience at all and am just beginning to take an interest; I obviously didn't make the demarcation well enough because it's still hazy to me, too. I know a director is the one with the vision, and he has to articulate that vision through shots...but that's also what a DP does, right? I'd be interested to know what experienced people here have to say about this. :) Thank you for your time.

Edited by filmgirl, 28 December 2005 - 03:02 AM.

#2 Lars.Erik

Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:20 AM

The director has to in addition to thinking about how the film is shot, also have to think about EVERYTHING else on a set. He/she directs the actors, decides on the pacing, both on screen and in the editing room. The director reads the script and decides how he/she will tell this story. This person is responsible how the story is told, that the audience will understand what is happening. A film, in many ways, happens around the director.

The DP is responsible for the visual part of the film. Lighting, colour, exposure, movement etc.

In short, the director has a hell of a lot more to think about than the DP. That's why I'm a DP. I know I'd never could becom a director. It's too tough. So yes, there is a BIG difference between the two.

#3 G . Stephen Bruno

G . Stephen Bruno
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:32 AM

as quick as as you can list those who have converged........

#4 filmgirl

filmgirl
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:07 AM

The director has to in addition to thinking about how the film is shot, also have to think about EVERYTHING else on a set. He/she directs the actors, decides on the pacing, both on screen and in the editing room. The director reads the script and decides how he/she will tell this story. This person is responsible how the story is told, that the audience will understand what is happening. A film, in many ways, happens around the director.

The DP is responsible for the visual part of the film. Lighting, colour, exposure, movement etc.

In short, the director has a hell of a lot more to think about than the DP. That's why I'm a DP. I know I'd never could becom a director. It's too tough. So yes, there is a BIG difference between the two.

Thank you, Lars.Erik, for your answer. :) Question: are there any female DPs? In general, how much do DPs make? What are the top schools to learn the craft?

In film school, there are programs for screenwriting, production, producing. If you want to become a DP, do you apply for production? Is it OK with the schools that you don't want to be a director and want to be a DP? For example, USC has a production program. Is that for aspiring DPs, too? Thanks.

Edited by filmgirl, 29 December 2005 - 05:09 AM.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

Thank you, Lars.Erik, for your answer. :) Question: are there any female DPs? In general, how much do DPs make? What are the top schools to learn the craft?

In film school, there are programs for screenwriting, production, producing. If you want to become a DP, do you apply for production? Is it OK with the schools that you don't want to be a director and want to be a DP? For example, USC has a production program. Is that for aspiring DPs, too? Thanks.

Hi,

Female DP's do exist. If you subscribe to CML you will read posts from a Female DP and Listmum!

There have been many threads about DP's earnings. For a Low budget DV feature mabe $500 a week if your lucky! More normal earnings would fall in the $1000 - $3000 a week range but a few Oscar winning DP's earn $10,000 + a week.

Don't think you will do a production programme, and have people asking you to DP their feature the next week!

Stephen

#6 Mario C. Jackson

Mario C. Jackson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

Yes their are a couple of femaile dp's. Amy Vincent, Ellen Kuras ASC, both of these cinematographers are very good and I admire their work. Sad thing is i only know of male dp's and from my knowledge there are not many female dp's.
I attend film school but their is no photography program. I actually am a animation student. I kind of created my own cinematography major. Well atleast thats what everyone in school says. I have shot tons of movies. One semester in school I was dp for 15 shorts and I worked on more than 30 productions. All that was just one semester, which was about a year ago. If you want to be a dp, always find a way to get a shoot. Run camera, AC, grip, electric, gaff, free lamce or do what ever you can to learn the art of photography. A friend and I watch a movie every week and break it down shot by shot, we study magazines, paintings, etc... Bottom line emerse yourself into the art and do alot of praying.
Hope this helps
Mario C. Jackson

#7 Lars.Erik

Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:06 PM

Hello, filmgirl. BTW, in the future, please sign your post with your name. :D

I don't know very much about US schools I'm afraid. Maybe David Mullen or someone else from the US can give you some advice here.

But if you're interested in Europe, then I've heard very good things about National Film and Telvision school in London. The head teacher of cinematography is Brian Tufano, BSC. He's done ALOT. Trainspotting, Billy Elliott and a really long list of other films. And the guest tutors are all great DP's. But I think it's stiff competition to get into this school, I'm afraid.

http://www.nftsfilm-...odule=Frontpage

Also a smart way to see it the school is good, check out their previous students, if it's a good school, they'll have a notice saying who's been attending there. Also check out the school's student films. If the majority of the films are crap, the chances are that the school is also...

But if it's you really want to be a DP, I'd just go for applying to Cinematography Schools. That's it. In my experience, these schools are way better than the one's who have like a multi thing, where you learn a little about directing, a little about cinematography, a little about screenwriting and on and on...

Whatever you decide upon, good luck. We need more female DP's.

Edited by Lars.Erik, 29 December 2005 - 12:08 PM.

#8 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:44 PM

Female Cinematographers Whose Work You Should Google:

Brianne Murphy, ASC [RIP]
Nancy Schreiber, ASC - Sundance FF Best Cinematography
Ellen Kuras, ASC - 3 Sundance Best Cinematography Awards
Amy Vincent, ASC -Sundance Best Cinematography Award
Joan Churchill, ASC
Judy Irola, ASC
Lisa Rinzler- Emmy Award, Sundance, IFP Nominated
Uta Briesewitz
Tami Reiker -Emmy Award
Lisa Weigand
Carolyn Chen
Mandy Walker, ACS
Christine Choy
Claudia Raschke
Zoe Dirse
Agnes Godard
Sarah Levy

#9 filmgirl

filmgirl
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:43 AM

Hello, filmgirl. BTW, in the future, please sign your post with your name. :D

I don't know very much about US schools I'm afraid. Maybe David Mullen or someone else from the US can give you some advice here.

But if you're interested in Europe, then I've heard very good things about National Film and Telvision school in London. The head teacher of cinematography is Brian Tufano, BSC. He's done ALOT. Trainspotting, Billy Elliott and a really long list of other films. And the guest tutors are all great DP's. But I think it's stiff competition to get into this school, I'm afraid.

http://www.nftsfilm-...odule=Frontpage
Also a smart way to see it the school is good, check out their previous students, if it's a good school, they'll have a notice saying who's been attending there. Also check out the school's student films. If the majority of the films are crap, the chances are that the school is also...

But if it's you really want to be a DP, I'd just go for applying to Cinematography Schools. That's it. In my experience, these schools are way better than the one's who have like a multi thing, where you learn a little about directing, a little about cinematography, a little about screenwriting and on and on...

Whatever you decide upon, good luck. We need more female DP's.

The people at The NFTS seem to be professionals already. :blink: It sounds like a great place, though. Anyone who knows about US schools, please chime in.

Thanks, Wendell. I'll Google their names.

Kelly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Technodolly