karthikeyan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Digital Image Technician

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:28 AM

hi,
AApy nU yeAr :) , am a beginner in camera just have two short films in credit. can anyone suggest me the right book to read which gives the right motivation and the technical aspects for the lensman.

i have Narrowed down to THREE books

1.Cinematography (Screencraft) -
http://www.amazon.co...inematographyco

2.Cinematography : Third Edition (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.co...glance&n=283155

3.Matters of Light & Depth (Paperback)
by Ross Lowell - WHICH IS NOW NOT IN STOCK_ONLY USED IS AVAILABLE
http://www.amazon.co...glance&n=283155

am sincerely looking for your ur comments!!

regards,
karthikeyan

Edited by karthikeyan, 01 January 2006 - 06:29 AM.

#2 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:09 AM

Just finished 'Matters of Light & Depth'. It's one of those books you sort of need to read if you want to understand the basic principals of lighting. It's extremely informative and reader friendly. When you're
done reading it you'll understand much of the lighting lingo used here. The only downside in my opinion is that it's rather short.

'Cinematography' by Blain Brown is one of my favorite books of all time.

'Cinematography : Third Edition' was co-written by a member of this board and is worth checking out. I'm picking up a copy next paycheck (thanks for the $0.25 cent raise, boss <_< . "every little bit helps").

http://www.cinematog.../shop/books.asp

#3 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

I think that the best book on cinematography is Nestor Almendros's A Man with a Camera, especially if you read it in conjunction with watching his films. If you want proof that truly talented people can make great films with very little money, you need only watch Pauline at the Beach and then read Almendros's chapter on how it was made. His book is out of print, but often available through one of the internet second-hand sources (eg. www.abebooks.com or www.powells.com).

Steven Ascher's The Filmmaker's Handbook is comprehensive, clearly written and a bargain at US$20.

Ross Lowell's book is excellent. If you can't get it from Amazon, which I gather is out of stock, you can get it directly from Lowell Lighting or from www.bhphotovideo.com. I also really like Max Keller's Light Fantastic: The Art and Design of Stage Lighting.

Dominic Case's Film Technomogy in Post Production contains a wealth of information and is reasonably priced.

The ASC Handbook contains a lot of useful tables and some good articles. I think that it is indispensable, but it is expensive. If your budget is tight, have a look at a copy in a library first.

If you haven't seen the ASC's magazine, American Cinematographer, have a look at a copy. I subscribe, but with reservations. There's a lot of fluff, they have a talent for publishing lengthy articles on bad movies and everything is written to a formula in which the director praises the cinematographer and the cinematographer praises everybody he has ever met. At first this is funny, but after a few issues it starts to grow tiresome. Then there's the material that is just plain weird/embarrassing, such as the President's Message in the current January issue.

The IFP's Filmmaker is a little better written, and less parochial, but it only comes out quarterly and is not quite as technically oriented.

Hope this helps.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:23 PM

You'll want to read all three books mentioned, as well as "Masters of Light", "Man with a Camera", "The 5 C's of Cinematography", "Image Control", "Film Technology in Post Production", and several others, as well as the AC magazine and ICG magazine.

For a historical grounding, I'd also read "Film Style & Technology: History and Analysis" and "The History of Movie Photography".

There are also reference manuals like the ASC Manual, plus some on lighting, cameras, etc.

There is a $20 book at the ASC Bookstore site called "Selected Tables, Charts and Formulas for the Student Cinematographer from the American Cinematographer Manual" Edited by Stephen H. Burum, ASC. The title is really catchy, isn't it? Sort of a cheaper way of getting some of the info in the ASC Manual for the student.

I think for an all-around general view on the art and technology of cinematography, I'd recommend Blain Brown's "Cinematography" and Ross Lowell's "Matters of Light & Depth".

My book, the 3rd edition of "Cinematography", is more of a practical book on shooting & posting, mainly in 16mm. We didn't go very far into artistic issues or the history of the art form, nor cover a lot of big-budget equipment used mainly in 35mm productions. On the other hand, it's a cheaper book than Blain's, mainly because we weren't allowed to put color photos in it.

For good interviews with DP's talking about their art & craft, I'd recommend "Cinematography Screencraft" and "Masters of Light". There are some others worth reading too: "Hollywood Cameramen" & "The Art of the Cinematographer" (both covering classic studio cameramen), and "New Cinematographers".

I also recommend "Film Lighting" by Malkiewicz.

Better get started reading. When you're finished with all of those, I have some more to recommend...

Edited by David Mullen, 01 January 2006 - 01:32 PM.

#5 karthikeyan

karthikeyan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:59 PM

i wudnt get a better place than this. Thnks a LOAD!! for your kind Reply. am clear on my path tnks for the lantern's.am starting with all three books.:rolleyes:

TSM - hi i check'd some title at the books section only. but am little doudtfull of choosing the right one for me to understand. but no more!!

R. Edge - for me ASC handbook is not affordable but sure will get it soon. i'll check with IFP's Filmmaker!!

David Mullen - thnks a load for your contributions, Sir.

regards,
Karthikeyan
;)

#6 Greg Gross

Greg Gross
  • Sustaining Members
  • 869 posts
  • Harrisburg,PA

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:15 AM

1. Read everything(posts) by David Mullen ASC here on the forum. Excellent source with integrity.
2. Read American Cinematographer magazine.
3. American Cinematographer Manual( if you cannot afford it and really want it,e-mail me with your address and I'll give you mine and I'll order a
new one).
4. Reflections

Greg Gross

Edited by pd170user, 02 January 2006 - 08:24 AM.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:11 AM

I probably shouldn't say this since the ASC needs the money from its book sales... but for years I got by with an old edition of the Manual picked up at a used bookstore. If you're a beginner, there's no reason to drop 100 dollars on a reference book like that. I'd either get the paperback Student version with just selected tables, or find an old edition. You probably aren't going to need the latest info on the Panaflex Millenium XL, etc.

#8 karthikeyan

karthikeyan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:07 PM

pd170user - sir, am really inspired by your words. kindly accept my mesenger request.

david mullen - sure will make the money to get it sir. am a visual effects artists though am more keen on the lenses..looking for the right time and people to wrk with

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

CineTape

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly