Arriflex 16S - Weird!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:24 PM

Anyone else ever seen an "S" like this? It's for sale on Ebay right now (auction number 7578272337).

(I tried to attach the photo, but I messed it up.)

Edited by Ian Marks, 03 January 2006 - 06:26 PM.

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

Anyone else ever seen an "S" like this? It's for sale on Ebay right now (auction number 7578272337).

(I tried to attach the photo, but I messed it up.)

Saw that Ian, it is truly bizarre. It looks like something the person made themselves because the black crinkle paint on the side of the huge mag looks really badly done. I don't know, maybe it was an ARRI one off. The description isn't very clear because English is obviously not his first language.

-Tim

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

Now there are two Arri 16S cameras that I have never seen before on eBay. The one you mentioned and this new one that appeared today. Here is the one you mentioned.

Posted Image

And here is the new one. Notice the newer SR1 light meter, never saw one of those on an Arri 16S before:

Posted Image

-Tim

#4 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:49 AM

howdy-

that first one looks like it was made for an underwater housing, judging by the eyepiece extension. The other one has the Arri "APEC" exposure control- The ancient Alan Gordon catalog I have (I'm so glad I still have it for some reason!) shows the Arri with that door installed- at the time it was about a $2000 upgrade.

#5 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:20 PM

I remember seeing ads in American Cinematographer (I had a subscription when I was a little kid - no wonder I'm warped) for the APEC system and seeing pictures of the 16s with APEC, which I believe was a "match needle" TTL metering system. I guess this represents the ultimate evolution of the model. If only there were a cheap Super 16 upgrade!

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:46 PM

Looks like a machnist went to town and created a built-in 400' coax mag. Many cameras have had individual modifications along the way--we're talking a LONG history for this gear and it's not like they were sold as commonly as cars or there were that many options available. For some the only way to get what they wanted was to modify what was out there. I know very few Arri SR or Aaton owners who have had their cameras for more than a few years that have NOT had some little custom mod performed.

#7 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:15 PM

Wow that's really cool. I see a coffee table book about these cameras sometime in the future...!

#8 Andy Sparaco SOC

Andy Sparaco SOC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 203 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago and most airline lounges

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

Built by Arriflex for underwater housings. On the camera in the second picture the Apex exposure meter is pre SR1 and was also found on the Arri BL...for those who want to know!!!

#9 Michael Althaus

Michael Althaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Other
  • Santa Monica / Switzerland

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

I own an arri with the Apex exposure meter. I got it about six months ago and I can't wait to shoot with it. Still looking for an arriflex universal matte box...

#10 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

I own an arri with the Apex exposure meter. I got it about six months ago and I can't wait to shoot with it. Still looking for an arriflex universal matte box...

Mattbox for Arri 16S or 16BL (eBay auction)

#11 Tom Doolittle

Tom Doolittle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

Hey folks

Slightly off topic, but while we're on the subject of the 16S matte box, has anyone ever had much success fitting a larger matte box to this camera? Something that would accomodate a larger lens, for example. I currently have a zoom lens on my 16S and would like to keep stray light off the front element without having to use tape and cardboard flags.

Tom

#12 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hey folks

Slightly off topic, but while we're on the subject of the 16S matte box, has anyone ever had much success fitting a larger matte box to this camera? Something that would accomodate a larger lens, for example. I currently have a zoom lens on my 16S and would like to keep stray light off the front element without having to use tape and cardboard flags.

Tom

If your lens is the popular Angenieux 12-120 T2.2 you can get a screw on lens hood like the one below:
Posted Image

-Tim

#13 Tom Doolittle

Tom Doolittle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

If your lens is the popular Angenieux 12-120 T2.2 you can get a screw on lens hood like the one below:

-Tim

Thanks Tim. Got one already. Works in most cases but I find that it opens too wide. To keep side light out of the lens, I still use flags. I just thought a deeper matte box would serve as a better sunshade, but have not seen an affordable one that will accomodate the 77mm dia. front of my Angenieux.

-Tom

#14 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

The square fitting above the lens port for the mattebox rod on the Arri S (see Tim's photo) is the same as the fitting below the lens port on the Arri SR. So you can mount Arri SR front rods and sling the mattebox on upside down to go in front of the lens.

#15 Rod Otaviano

Rod Otaviano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:15 AM

Hey folks

Tom

I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for but anyways, check this out:

http://www.cavision....ST/Arri16ST.htm

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Opal