Milky Grey Blacks?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

I try to watch as many films that have been shot on HD as I can; some are visually better than others as is the case with film originated movies. Last night I watched the film "The Hollow" on DVD, it?s a lowish budget horror film that is mostly set at night. I looked up the technical specs on IMDB and found that it was shot on the Sony 900. A lot of the dark areas of the background appeared to be more of a milky gray than black, I haven?t noticed this as pronounced on other HD originated movies, what would cause this?

#2 Robert Sanders

Robert Sanders
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Director
  • Studio City, CA

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:54 AM

I try to watch as many films that have been shot on HD as I can; some are visually better than others as is the case with film originated movies. Last night I watched the film "The Hollow" on DVD, it?s a lowish budget horror film that is mostly set at night. I looked up the technical specs on IMDB and found that it was shot on the Sony 900. A lot of the dark areas of the background appeared to be more of a milky gray than black, I haven?t noticed this as pronounced on other HD originated movies, what would cause this?

Sounds like bad color correction. Or the DVD was mastered incorrectly.

I recently shot a trailer for a horror film called SHADOW FALLS on the F900 and have had phenomenal results. What I like about the F900 is that it captured all the shadow detail which gave me options. In the end I crunched the blacks considerably.

Screenshots on my Website

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:39 AM

It could have been color-corrected that way, or it could have been downconverted poorly, or mastered for DVD poorly.

This HD movie I shot now called "Two Brothers and a Bride" (aka "A Foreign Affair") looks too bright & washed out on DVD compared to the original HD master. I asked the director about it and all he said was that the distributor did that, whether intentionally or accidentally, I don't know.

#4 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

I recently shot a trailer for a horror film called SHADOW FALLS on the F900 and have had phenomenal results. What I like about the F900 is that it captured all the shadow detail which gave me options. In the end I crunched the blacks considerably.

Screenshots on my Website

The stills looks good, thanks.

This HD movie I shot now called "Two Brothers and a Bride" (aka "A Foreign Affair") looks too bright & washed out on DVD compared to the original HD master. I asked the director about it and all he said was that the distributor did that, whether intentionally or accidentally, I don't know.

Concidering that most people will probably see it on DVD, you must want to kill someone.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC