5 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

Dion Beebe has done a very nice job - no fault on his part. The lighting is classic soft beauty style peppered with the odd hard night (blue) light here and there (my least favorite shots). Very reminiscent of Toll's work. Gorgeous film to look at, but that's about it. Strangely unmoving and faulted with some very uneven acting and atrocious accents. In many regards it reminds me of another beautiful, but ultimately unfulfilling film like Snow Falling On Cedars.

Also, the film suffers from some severe close-up-itis. Way, way to many close-ups for no reason whatsoever - the film is seriously lacking in wides. But that's more of an editing problem and not a fault of the DP. The camera also cranes and moves a little bit to much at times for my taste, but I am over sensitive to stuff like that, I know. Technocrane-itis, once again. I prefer the very graphic opening part of the film when the girls leave their home. There's particularly some noir-ish single source-y work at at train station in the beginning that was mind blowing.

Apparently the film was shot at very shallow stops but the image sharpness holds up very well. Can't have been fun to focus pull on - hats off to the AC - there weren't many soft shots. Anamorphic really has such a lush and crisp look when done correctly.

Keep 'em coming, Dion.

Edited by AdamFrisch, 03 January 2006 - 09:27 PM.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

Hi,

But why are all the Geishas Chinese? They certainly sound it, and I think they look it (people on www.alllooksame.com consistently do slightly better than average at spotting this visually; it really seems to depend where in China you're from, but Michelle Yeoh is a poor choice in this regard.)

Also: I am an unrepentant gaijin, I speak about two dozen words of Japanese and the closest I've ever been to Osaka is Eastbourne, but even I know a kimono only folds that way on a dead person.

Phil

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:06 AM

Hi,

But why are all the Geishas Chinese? They certainly sound it, and I think they look it (people on www.alllooksame.com consistently do slightly better than average at spotting this visually; it really seems to depend where in China you're from, but Michelle Yeoh is a poor choice in this regard.)

Also: I am an unrepentant gaijin, I speak about two dozen words of Japanese and the closest I've ever been to Osaka is Eastbourne, but even I know a kimono only folds that way on a dead person.

Phil

Michelle Yeoh is never a poor choice. And she's from Malaysia.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:05 AM

Hi,

>Michelle Yeoh is never a poor choice.

I humbly submit that Memoirs of a Geisha is a counter-example, although I completely agree that she's done some fantastic stuff.

> And she's from Malaysia.

Oddly enough for me, I did actually look this up, and read that she's "Malaysian Chinese" by descent. Either way, I thought she didn't look the part. No problem with the performance.

At least, that part of the performance you could see. Why was it so damned dark?

Phil

#5 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

But at least you got to see it Phil!

I remember a couple of weeks ago you complained that your local cinema only played HP, Narnia and Kong and not Geisha, despite the fact that the film wasn't even released in the UK by that time.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hi,

I didn't see it locally.

Phil

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera