#1 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3077 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:04 PM

I don't know if anyone else has come across these Softboxes, but I just bought a couple on spec, new, through ebay. The larger of the two is 4'x3', easily as well constructed as certain other expensive brands, and cost me just $16.00. There is a bit of an issue with the speed ring, which I'll need to get an adaptor made for, but on the whole, I'm amazed at how good they are!

If you're looking to buy a softbox, and don't want to spend $$$$ (or ££££s) these are a very good alternative.

Edited by Stuart Brereton, 04 January 2006 - 02:04 PM.

#2 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

Anybody ever buy their C-stands?

#3 Ryan Puckett

Ryan Puckett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

This is by far one of my favorite ebay sellers. Most of the stuff is on par with name brand equipment both design and qualitywise. I've got quite a few C-stands and lightstands, and have to say they are just as good as the matthews stuff i've used. The only complaint about the c-stands is that the grip heads don't have the fiber, or metal washers between the knurled plates, but it's pretty easy to get some and just slap them in. I don't think I've paid over $60 for the biggest stand, so I won't even complain too much.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

I don't know if anyone else has come across these Softboxes, but I just bought a couple on spec, new, through ebay. The larger of the two is 4'x3', easily as well constructed as certain other expensive brands, and cost me just $16.00. There is a bit of an issue with the speed ring, which I'll need to get an adaptor made for, but on the whole, I'm amazed at how good they are!

If you're looking to buy a softbox, and don't want to spend $$$$ (or ££££s) these are a very good alternative.

Hi Stuart,

How much was shipping and UK customs charges?

Cheers,

Stephen

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3077 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:55 AM

Stephen,

The shipping was about $80. There was no import duty.

All in, for 1 4x3 Softbox, and 1 5' 'Octolume' it was about $160 or £90. I hate it when the shipping is more than the item, but it was still a very good deal. The softbox comes with an eggcrate, two baffles and various light shaping louvres.

I believe Chimera charge about £300 for their equivalent softbox, and another £75 for the speedring :-(

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:23 PM

Stephen,

The shipping was about $80. There was no import duty.

All in, for 1 4x3 Softbox, and 1 5' 'Octolume' it was about $160 or £90. I hate it when the shipping is more than the item, but it was still a very good deal. The softbox comes with an eggcrate, two baffles and various light shaping louvres.

I believe Chimera charge about £300 for their equivalent softbox, and another £75 for the speedring :-(

Stuart,

Thanks very much.

Stephen

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Tai Audio