• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:28 PM

Is anyone able to comment from experience on the optical quality and construction of these lenses in comparison to Zeiss 16mm Super Speeds and/or current Zeiss and Cooke 35mm lenses?

Thanks.

#2 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:26 AM

Is anyone able to comment from experience on the optical quality and construction of these lenses in comparison to Zeiss 16mm Super Speeds and/or current Zeiss and Cooke 35mm lenses?

Thanks.

Last year I purchased a used set of Zeiss MKIII Super Speeds for my A-Minima and had them sent to Paul Duclos for evaluation. While I was at his shop, he had several of the Elite lenses in for service, so I asked about their performance and reliability. He said there were some issues with poor build quality and that some of the internal components were not up to Zeiss standards. While we were having this conversation, Paul's son was over at the workbench, head down and struggling to replace a tiny spring the thickness of a human hair in one of these Elites. He just shot me this grim look when I asked him what he thought. I can't remember Paul's exact words, but I distinctly remember leaving the shop feeling like I had made the right decision to spend the extra money for the Zeiss lenses.

Having said that, I've also read a few comments posted here and on that CinemaTechnic site about the great optical quality of the Elites. My guess is that if you get a good set of these lenses and use them gently, they are fantastic, maybe even optically better than the Zeiss lenses in some cases. And the cost is much more reasonable, for sure.

CineLab

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS