DirectorCameraman4Ever

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

Happy new year friends.

I'm an ambitious cameraman, that just spent a bundle on a Canon XL1s.

Questions.

1) Can I use a DVCPro50 or HD tape in my camera?

Alternative....

2) Can I shoot with my Canon XL1 but output to a DVCPRo50 or HD deck.

3) If I'm successful at recording a DVCPro50 tape in my XL1s; I've heard that Firewire cables wont work to output into my computer. What cable or adapter can I use to output to my computer?

DoctorCreator@yahoo.com

Thanks and let's "rock this new year".

#2 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

It records on MiniDV. It outputs compressed DV25 on the firewire connection.

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

Happy new year friends.

Questions.

Alternative....

3) If I'm successful at recording a DVCPro50 tape in my XL1s; I've heard that Firewire cables wont work to output into my computer. What cable or adapter can I use to output to my computer?

DoctorCreator@yahoo.com

This might've been the sort of thing I found out BEFORE spending a bundle. You cannot use DVC-Pro50 tapes in an XL-1s.

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:54 PM

This might've been the sort of thing I found out BEFORE spending a bundle. You cannot use DVC-Pro50 tapes in an XL-1s.

I don't mean to pick on you, but why did you spend a bundle on a camera that came out five years ago? I know that a bundle is different for everyone. Canon has come out with two other cameras since. I would think that a xl1s is pretty cheap these day. Can you return it, get your money back? If not, get credit toward the purchase of the xl-2?

#5 Rachel Oliver

Rachel Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • London, England

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

[quote name='DirectorCameraman4Ever' date='Jan 5 2006, 11:32 PM' post='83045']

Hi;

DVCPro 50 is a codec not a tape, HD is an entirely different format altogether. You have a mini DV camera and an old one at that, although it's still perfectly able to make decent images if you are!

Olly

#6 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

To be honest there's no point in recording out to a pro cassette of any kind, however it can be done. But it won't change the quality. Unless you're sending a film off and they only accept pro tapes or something, which would be ridiculous.

XL1s is a great camera, personally I would have forked out for the XL2 because the resolution covers standard PAL and NTSC lines, and plus it's true 16:9.

But the XL1s is still a great camera, better than I've got. Now that you've got a great camera, it really comes down to your lighting and composition skills. I mean, if someone gave me an XL1 and a newbie a Sony F900, I'd kick their butt! (Ohh dear now I'm in trouble?)

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith, 05 January 2006 - 09:07 PM.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:37 PM

To be honest there's no point in recording out to a pro cassette of any kind, however it can be done. But it won't change the quality. Unless you're sending a film off and they only accept pro tapes or something, which would be ridiculous.

You're right in that you don't gain quality by bumping DV up to some better tape format. However, it's not uncommon for a buyer of a product to request it be delivered on a certain tape format, probably because that's the type of decks they use, like at a TV station. It's not that they believe either that quality will be improved, just that they want only one type of tape coming into their facility if possible.

It's not uncommon for someone selling a movie to a home video distributor to have to supply the movie to them on any number of tape formats, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. Usually when you sell a movie, the distributor sends you a "deliverables list" that is part of the sales contract, like needing:

4x3 NTSC D1 pan & scan, 4x3 NTSC D1 letterboxed, 16x9 NTSC D1 full-frame, etc.

It can be eight or more different tape masters of the same movie!

#8 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

You're right in that you don't gain quality by bumping DV up to some better tape format. However, it's not uncommon for a buyer of a product to request it be delivered on a certain tape format, probably because that's the type of decks they use, like at a TV station. It's not that they believe either that quality will be improved, just that they want only one type of tape coming into their facility if possible.

It's not uncommon for someone selling a movie to a home video distributor to have to supply the movie to them on any number of tape formats, regardless of whether it makes sense or not. Usually when you sell a movie, the distributor sends you a "deliverables list" that is part of the sales contract, like needing:

4x3 NTSC D1 pan & scan, 4x3 NTSC D1 letterboxed, 16x9 NTSC D1 full-frame, etc.

It can be eight or more different tape masters of the same movie!

Good point... was more thinking of other things like post-production houses e.t.c.

#9 DirectorCameraman4Ever

DirectorCameraman4Ever

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:47 AM

It records on MiniDV. It outputs compressed DV25 on the firewire connection.

Thanks for the feedback.

#10 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11942 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:17 AM

Hi,

If you want to do all the things you mention, about the best thing you can do is buy an HVX-200.

Otherwise, have fun with the XL-1 until you start to be irritated by its shortcomings (and that's no bad thing; you could use the best camera in the world and you'd still eventually be irritated by its shortcomings) and then you'll be much better informed on the subject of exactly what you need.

Phil

#11 DirectorCameraman4Ever

DirectorCameraman4Ever

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:46 AM

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES. I've been shooting, editing and writing for various clients so haven't been to this site recently. Your advice is well received and appreciated.

Best wishes to you all as we all work on our making our first million and winning our first Academies (in my case at least.) :-)

Happy new year friends.

Questions.

Alternative....

DoctorCreator@yahoo.com

Opal

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam