#1 Conor Lynch

Conor Lynch

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

Im shooting my first 16mm short and if its possible Id like some help. Ive got two actors having a conversation at a table. The table is pushed against the back wall of a room. I wanted to go for a dark, seedy atmosphere. How should I set this up?

- conor lynch

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

Im shooting my first 16mm short and if its possible Id like some help. Ive got two actors having a conversation at a table. The table is pushed against the back wall of a room. I wanted to go for a dark, seedy atmosphere. How should I set this up?

- conor lynch

Start by painting the wall dark and/or pulling it out away from the wall... then think about where the source of light should come from for the table.

#3 Conor Lynch

Conor Lynch

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:39 PM

Start by painting the wall dark and/or pulling it out away from the wall... then think about where the source of light should come from for the table.

Painting the wall isnt an option for me, but i can probably pull the table away from the wall. I was thinking of having the light come from above the table. What's the best way to set this up without drowning the rest of the room in shadow? I also need to be able to shoot the actors from outside the doorway of the room, so where should I place the lights to keep them out of the frame?

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

The simplest and best way is probably to hang a "China Hat" type fixture over the table; the upside-down bowl of the fixture will keep the light from spilling through the room. Then if you see the lamp in the frame, it's motivated. Once you keep the light focused more on the table, you can "sketch" out the backgrounds with separate, small lights, maybe just a few more practicals plus some small spots. You can even use narrow-spot PAR bulbs with standard Edison bases in ordinary track lighting, for example, to create small spotlights.

Do whatever you can though to not have a white-walled location, whether it means painting, or sticking some wood panels over the walls, whatever. Have you ever been in a moody, dark white room before? Ideally the walls would be darker than the skintones.

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

The Slider

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks