Lars.Erik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Oslo

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:35 AM

Hey friends,

I´m in the US on a shoot. We sent our tech gear with DHL, but they messed up, and we might need to rent some NTSC cams to shoot the first week.

I´ve read here that converting will work, but camera movement, pans etc. might look a bit bad.

It this true? Won´t a NTSC cam pics work fine when we convert it to PAL? Need answers ASAP, as we start shooting on tuesday. Hope we get our gear in time though...

Thanks...

#2 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

Hey friends,

I´m in the US on a shoot. We sent our tech gear with DHL, but they messed up, and we might need to rent some NTSC cams to shoot the first week.

I´ve read here that converting will work, but camera movement, pans etc. might look a bit bad.

It this true? Won´t a NTSC cam pics work fine when we convert it to PAL? Need answers ASAP, as we start shooting on tuesday. Hope we get our gear in time though...
Thanks...

Hi

If you get a really good, motion compensated standards conversion, you should be OK. The state of the art ones give decent results - the images are slightly softer than PAL origination. But its done all the time, plenty of US NTSC orignated shows are broadcast in Europe, It may be an issue if you are intercutting between PAL and NTSC on the same scene, as it will highlight the differences.

Also depends if you are shooting interlaced or 24p, if progressive, then there should be a way to convert it to 25p by speeding it up 4% and you would get no motion artifacts, just the slight softness from a lower resolution format. I'm sure this is possible, but - I'm not sure of the exact equipment or technique for this method...

Otherwise if you can't do the 4% faster conversion pans can look a little bit juddery/smeary - but its not too horrible if you use a good standards coverter, like the Snell and Willcox Alchemist, for instance.

Is this a documentry or drama project?

On a Documentry, Most audiences would accept the, minor quality differences, between well shot PAL and NTSC. Its not like your trying to intercut VHS with HD....

Good luck with it

Phil

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

I wouldn't. NTSC origination is notorious for looking gripey in PAL, even with the best equipment.

Phil

Opal

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC