• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

I'm currently in post production on a feature that uses a couple of different properties for establishing shots. They've both changed hands since the filming. Do I need new clearance from the current owners? I also have footage shot on the property of a steel mill that has since gone under, then been resurrected by a new owner. (The original company no longer exists.) Does using this footage require clearance? Thanks.

#2 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:11 PM

What's the context, just establishing location in a dramatic film? I wouldn't think you'd need any permission, even the first time around, since it sounds like both of these were visible from a public street and thus fair game. I think the words "in perpetuity" or something like that are your friends here, contractually-speaking about time. We see images of locations all the time that have no doubt changed hands since production, and it certainly can't be the responsiblity of the producers to follow the life cycles of all their previously-used locations until the end of time, right? This is a little different because it hasn't actually been released yet, but what's the difference if you'd worked faster? Within the context of the time and place it was shot you had permission. You ask an interesting question, I just can't see how it would matter. And I'm not a lawyer. :unsure: Sorry, I'm just going off "logic" here, and we all know that sometimes has little to do with the law!

#3 N DeWood

N DeWood
  • Sustaining Members
  • 41 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

Assuming that you've obtained the releases in writing (and are on file), your rights are governed via the terms of the contracts you entered into with the previous owners. Unless the contracts state otherwise or have exceptions (which I doubt), your rights are secured. The fact that the feature was not released prior to the changing of title on both properties to new owners is irrelvant.

Best of luck.

Nick,

I'm currently in post production on a feature that uses a couple of different properties for establishing shots. They've both changed hands since the filming. Do I need new clearance from the current owners? I also have footage shot on the property of a steel mill that has since gone under, then been resurrected by a new owner. (The original company no longer exists.) Does using this footage require clearance? Thanks.

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

I thank you both for your help. I did forget to mention that the steel mill interiors were shot guerilla style when the mill was shut down and in receivership. The exteriors were shot when it was in operation (under past ownership). No clearance was ever sought or obtained, although company security did (kindly) direct me to good shooting spots in areas just off mill property. That might constitute a verbal okay, but may not be enough to satisfy errors and omissions insurance. I'd hate to lose these shots. They're dramatic. I'm sorry I wasn't more detailed in the original post, but would still really appreciate advice as to whether I can use this footage. It's for a narrative feature. Thanks again.

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Opal

Tai Audio

CineTape