Film equivalent to 800

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rookie

rookie
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hello all:
As I have stated before i will be filming in low light situations. I am basically a still film photgrapher. I use Fugi NPZ or Kodak Portra almost exclusively. All in 800 asa. I do ok with this film because of my experience. I still, however, botch a lot of the action shots because of the speed at which the gymnasts are travelling. Is film stock available for supoer 8 which is going to be able to work for me? I am gatting nervous about this format. Maybe I should be thinking about using 16mm since i am going to convert to DVD anyway.
Can any of you folks help me out here?
nervous Rookie.

#2 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

You are more likely to receive help if you put your real name in your signature, fyi.

#3 S8 Booster

S8 Booster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Other
  • retired

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:15 AM

you may want to take a look at this:

Kahlfilm.de Super8 Farbe
company generally not popular for its service though.

also pro8mm.com used to have a ISO800 film but not sure if it is still avail.
some other us supplier listed it recently.

the 800 is known as a considerably grainy film in s8.

Posted Image

KodakĀ“s new vision2 500T should give you the best overall results - low grain for its speed.

a beaulieu cam non 4008 model with a fast lens may be the best option or a canon 310xl with a f1.0 lens but this got 18 fps only. however, it is a xl cam which enhance low light condition shooting quite a bit.
non beamsplitter beaulieu 3008 n 5008 cams are low priced and highly underrated c-mount cams with a true motion picture shutter speed contrary to the 4008 - shoots better in lower light. beware of worn/damaged n expensive NiCd batteries.

s/hoot

#4 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:26 AM

Your probable best bet is Vision2 500 negative. You can push it a stop if you must. It will get more grainy, but if it's a choice of a grainy shot or none at all, sometimes you make allowances. It's better to have more light of course; consider an XL camera like the Canon, although they lose sharpness of focus when opened way up. If you can enough light, consider shooting at higher speed like 36-48fps for pretty slo-mo and less intrusive camera movement.

The old 800 stock is no longer in production, and is reputed to be grainier than the Vis2 500 pushed to ASA 800.

Super 8 may not be the ideal format for your needs. Shoot a cart or 2 and see if it makes the grade; you may find that 16mm is more reliable and flexible in post production.

Edited by Robert Hughes, 16 January 2006 - 12:29 AM.

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:38 AM

I agree that today, Kodak VISION2 500T Color Negative Film 7218 would be the best choice if you need the speed:

http://www.kodak.com...=0.1.4.14&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com....4.4.16.4&lc=en

#6 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

If you plan to push the film in processing you will want to shoot a larger gauge than S8. (unless you want excessive grain)

My background is in still photography too. One of the first things you will learn in cinematography is that controlling light is the best way to get reliable images. Rent some lights...

Steve

#7 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:50 PM

I add my vote with the rest. Vision 2 500T would be the ideal film. Push it one stop if you must.

I have pushed 500T performance footage shot in low light with good results. Spectra sold me the film processing and telecine in a package with this in mind. The detail was there and I believe it was less grainy than using an older 800T film.

However, it would be ideal if you could get more light on the subject without the push to reduce grain. Also note that I have shot boxing footage under standard lighting in the ring with no push. The results were fantastic for super 8.

Tai Audio

The Slider

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery