#1 SJ.

SJ.
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:23 AM

Anyone doing their own processing at home? Just wondering if thats a cheaper option and how hard it might be?

SJ.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:43 AM

Anyone doing their own processing at home? Just wondering if thats a cheaper option and how hard it might be?

SJ.

Yes, the B&W processes and the color E-6 process can be run in a home developing tank like the Lomo.

Lots posted on this site and others. Do a search for some like these:

http://www.filmshoot...eprocessing.php

http://lavender.fort...spiralreel.html

http://www.geocities.com/cinetank/

Control of time and temperature are critical for consistent results, especially for color processing.

#3 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:16 PM

...yes, I have just started doing this with regularity. I have a LOMO tank that takes 100 ft. With a bit of practice, it becomes remarkably easy to load. I can spin two cartridges of super 8 onto the spirals in a snap now. I have used a G3 tank too and prefer the Lomo.

I don't do color - just black and white "reversal" as a negative. This means I'm not bleaching and re-exposing the film in a reversal process. The results are a bit more grain, a bit more exposure latitude, white spots instead of black spots (and dirt).

It's a look and it's great for film testing cameras. It is also nice to eliminate the most expensive step in the film to tape workflow. :D

Steve

#4 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:17 AM

Yes its cheap and easy. Use a Lomo tank. B/W is dirt cheap. E6 colour is a bit more costly, but still easy. Only thing is with the e6 kits, you need to be processing a few rolls within a couple of weeks or so for it to be cost efective as the colour chemicals don't last as long as B/W when mixed up. Still not really a problem. Kits have details in them on how to store and how long you get, etc. Don't be too spun out by the issue of temperature controll for e6. Yes it is critical, but you don't need any particular tools to get it right - just care and a couple of good thermometers. There is also no reason to be hesitant to do reversal in B/W. Sure negative is quicker than reversal. But the first developer (the negative developer) is the only critical step in any b/w process - neg or reversal.
Do it!

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies