Hi-8 transfer to computer w/o camera? Help.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Michael King

Michael King
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

A friend wants me to take his wedding video on Hi-8 and edit it for him. He'll get me the tapes but I won't have a camera to capture it with. How can I do this? Is there a place I could go that will transfer the tapes to Mini DV or DVD or My computer?

Thanks!

:(

#2 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

A friend wants me to take his wedding video on Hi-8 and edit it for him. He'll get me the tapes but I won't have a camera to capture it with. How can I do this? Is there a place I could go that will transfer the tapes to Mini DV or DVD or My computer?

In most major cities there are probably at least one business or organization which specializes in transferring video among media. For example, in San Francisco there's www.bavc.org and many others, and I'm sure there are similar/more choices in LA.

If you're unable to locate a provider of quality work in LA, you might contact BAVC to either ask for a referral, or have them do the work for you.

Also, there are probably thousands (well, at least hundreds) of freelance videographers in the LA area who have both Hi-8 and miniDV gear. There are probably many ways to contact them, including craigslist.org or a video/film professional directory of some sort (up here in the SF area we have www.reeldirectory.com ).

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

CineLab

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc