#1 Jimmmm

Jimmmm

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

Brokeback an exquisit film

But does anyone know what stocks was filmed on and any filtration details, i think it was Kodak it has that look
I'm wondering which stocks got the great detail and contrast in the mountain scenes
great seperation in colour and texture.

Credit must be given to Prieto who show's he can reign in the technical
flourishes seen in Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Alexander and Produce a work of pure
Classicism.

Edited by Jimmmm, 13 January 2006 - 09:30 PM.

#2 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:26 AM

Subject to any response from Mr. Prieto, who sometimes posts here, the Fall issue of Filmmaker, which contains an interview with the director, and the January issue of American Cinematographer, both say that the stocks were Kodak EXR 50D 5245, Vision 250D 5246, Vision 500T 5279 and Vision 2 500T 5218. The lenses were apparently Cooke S4.

To address your specific questions:

According to American Cinematographer, Prieto used 50D for daylight exterior scenes on the mountain - "I wanted those images to feel a little crisper and cleaner - I wanted the air to feel a little more transparent".

According to the magazine, he used 250D for dusk and dawn scenes on the mountain for more speed.

The article also says that 50D is the stock "when things are good" and that Prieto went to 250D "when things get a little ugly".

There are three paragraphs in the article that are specific to stock and discussion at various points in the article about filters.

For what it is worth, I think that there is something to be said for reading Annie Proulx's short story, originally published in the New Yorker, in conjunction with seeing the translation of her story into film.

Hope that helps.

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC