Michael Althaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Other
  • Santa Monica / Switzerland

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:29 PM

Hi,
I'm looking for a good mattebox for my Arriflex 16S/B with some filter stages. What would you recommend me. I was looking into the arriflex universal mattebox but I don't know where to find one and if it's any good compared to others. Any suggestions, links etc...?

Regards,

Michael

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

Michael,

You can get the 2x2 Arri Matte Box that came with the camera from Visual Products. The matte box runs about $250 and I think they want $99 for each filter holder. You can also pick them up on eBay from time to time.

What I use instead is a set of lightweight rods, turned upside down, and a Van Deniem 4x4 Matte Box. You hang the matte box upside down from the lightweight rods which are inserted in the hot shoe mount above your lens turret. Works great. And for an added advantage, when using the Arri 16S without the 400 ft magazine, the camera looks like some kind of production A-Minima. It really looks bitchin'. So that is fun too.

-Tim Carroll

#3 Michael Althaus

Michael Althaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Other
  • Santa Monica / Switzerland

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:14 AM

Thanx for the replay. How did you insert the rods into the hot shoe mount? Can you give me a hint (URL) to somebody who sells Van Diemen matte boxes? I searched google but didn't find much. I was looking into the cavision products ---> http://www.cavision....ST/Arri16ST.htm. I was thinking about combining it with a handle. What do you think about it?

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

The Cavision set up would probably work fine. The Van Deniem (and I always spell it wrong) matte boxes are no longer made, but you can pick them up on eBay from time to time. That is where I got mine. Had to do alot of work to it because it wasn't in the best of shape, but now it is great. When I say Arri Lightweight Rods, I mean the ones that Arri or one of the aftermarket folks make. They have a "hot shoe" mount that slips into the hot shoe socket on the front of the Arri 16S.

-Tim

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:28 PM

Tim is referring to the lightweight front rods that are found on the Arri SR camera series. These also fit the Arri-S, although they mount above the lens on the S and below on the SR. Otherwise function is the same and allow for the use of mattebox, followfocus, etc.

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Opal

CineTape

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post