2 replies to this topic

#1 stevewitt

stevewitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:36 PM

Im trying to make interesting shapes ( random, vertical, horizontal, window shapes, etc) appear in light behind subject on the background wall surface. I have black 20x30 foamboard, assorted worklights and different lamps to screw into them. I cant seem to make a clean light pattern on the wall with the shapes that I cut out. Can someone tell me what type of "guerilla" lights to use, size that cut outs should be on 20x30 foamboard to make decent believabel window shapes, angles, and also the distances (ie; how far back the pattern is away from the background wall to be lit, and how far the light source should be away from the pattern) I'm stuck!!!!!! so far I have tried a halogen spot/flood par20 50w in a aluminum clamp light and the spill from that worked better that the actual beam did. Have also tried assorted household lights. Tried all at different distances and angles and still frustration.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:52 PM

To get a sharper pattern, you need the pattern maker to be as close to the object as possible and the light as far away as possible to get more of a point source. So you need a brighter light if it's going to be farther away.

Or use a projector type light like a stage Leko or Source 4 or Dedolight with a lens projector attachment, with gobo patterns that can in inserted into the light.

#3 Nick Mueller

Nick Mueller

New

• Sustaining Members
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:29 PM

Im trying to make interesting shapes ( random, vertical, horizontal, window shapes, etc) appear in light behind subject on the background wall surface. I have black 20x30 foamboard, assorted worklights and different lamps to screw into them. I cant seem to make a clean light pattern on the wall with the shapes that I cut out. Can someone tell me what type of "guerilla" lights to use, size that cut outs should be on 20x30 foamboard to make decent believabel window shapes, angles, and also the distances (ie; how far back the pattern is away from the background wall to be lit, and how far the light source should be away from the pattern) I'm stuck!!!!!! so far I have tried a halogen spot/flood par20 50w in a aluminum clamp light and the spill from that worked better that the actual beam did. Have also tried assorted household lights. Tried all at different distances and angles and still frustration.

Following up David?s good advice, I?m assuming that by ?guerilla? lighting, you may not have access to professional instruments. David?s referenced projector light because it?s a very linear, focusable source, with little spill. You get a cleaner confined beam, hence, sharper shadows. Find an old slide projector or filmstrip projector to use as a light source.

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc