#1 David Silverstein

David Silverstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:18 AM

I have my first short doc and I want to have it able to be aired on tv and shown in high school film festivals. Does anyone know where I can get bleeping noise thats standered in the tv world.

Thanks
david s.

#2 Dickson Sorensen

Dickson Sorensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:20 PM

I have my first short doc and I want to have it able to be aired on tv and shown in high school film festivals. Does anyone know where I can get bleeping noise thats standered in the tv world.

Thanks
david s.

I not sure exactly which noise you are refering to however there is a standard tone at the begining of a tape with the "Bars" that is 1 KHZ at 0db. Many editing programs have the ability to synthesize this tone. I use Adobe Audition where you can find it under Generate/tones. Also many sync generators have this output like the Horita bsg-50.

As far as bleeping out for censorship I don't think there is a standard sometimes they just cut the sound.

Edited by Dickson Sorensen, 15 January 2006 - 12:24 PM.

#3 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

Bleeping is kind of passé these days; I think you'd be better off just razoring it and leaving a gap in the track. Especially if you can do it on your original timeline and there's still music or ambient sounds going on under it.

Just as an aside, I've never been a fan of bleeping (unless mandated) cuz in my opinion if you're gonna call that much attention to the fact there was a swear word there with a distracting beep, the viewer's brain is "inserting swear word here" anyway, so I'd just as soon hear the thing. It especially makes me cringe when I hear "ass(beep)" or "(beep)dammit" on TV. It used to be that you could say "pissed off" but not "pissed on," and I'm still kinda getting used to that change. I felt a huge wave of relief in college, when I could get an A on a script for class that was littered with F-bombs (and that also happened to be about a student attempting murder of his screenwriting prof. . .).

#4 David Silverstein

David Silverstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:56 PM

I guess ill razor them out.

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:27 AM

1 Khz tone is the standard "bleep" for censors. You could drop the middle part of the line, or if it is a comedy, I would recommend going ahead and bleeping it. A lot of the times, it's almost funnier with the bleep than without. It still leaves something to the imagination, I guess. If it's a drama, the bleeps might be a little distracting: "Gwenyth, I *BLEEP*in' love you so *BLEEP*damn much!" ... not quite as effective.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Glidecam

CineLab

Wooden Camera