need a camera, shooting action sports, low budget

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ross maloof

ross maloof
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

hey i need help finding a 16mm camera used to film snowboarding, so i will probably need more of a compact camera that is light weight.... i dont mind much about camera noise because i most likely will not be using audio from the footage i will have only a music track...... whats the lowest price i can get on a camera that will fit my needs, i dont care if it is used or new

also how much does film cost, and i notice film is in ft......please say how many minutes of footage is a reel of film for the camera you recomend to me

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:53 PM

hey i need help finding a 16mm camera used to film snowboarding, so i will probably need more of a compact camera that is light weight..... whats the lowest price i can get on a camera that will fit my needs, i dont care if it is used or new

also how much does film cost, and i notice film is in ft......please say how many minutes of footage is a reel of film for the camera you recomend to me

Are you going to be hand holding the camera or do you want to mount it somewhere, (Like a helmet) Will you want an electric motor so you can shoot an entire roll at once, or will 20 second shots be good enough.

Sound is normaly recorded separately on 16mm, so almost no camera that is light weight has any sound cabability.

Film is expensive, Normal film speed is 24 Frames a second (25 in Europe) and their are 40 frames in a foot of film. Kodak has a nice online calculator on the http://www.kodak.com/go/motion site. Figure roughly 3 minutes per 100 ft roll.

16mm Cameras in good working condition sell from about 20 dollars to 20 Thousand dollars. The 20 dollar ones are 60 or more years old, have wind-up motors and probaly require Double perf film. Keystones, Devry and such -- The Filmo, Bolex and K-3 run $100-500, have wind up motors and are meant for serious use.

Edited by Charles, 15 January 2006 - 08:54 PM.

#3 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

You may want to consider a 16mm gun camera such as the old Bell & Howell GSAP magazine camera or a Kodak K3 (?). They are rugged to the extreme and can take quite good pictures with decent lenses. But a lot of the old WW2 gun cameras have lenses that were soaked in oil spray and gunpowder smoke, so the lenses need replacing. Magazine loading cameras like the GSAP require double perf film; you can buy magazines loaded with Plus-X from Alan Gordon and Java Photo, or load 'em yourself with color; it's painful at first, but not impossible.

Edited by Robert Hughes, 15 January 2006 - 11:10 PM.

#4 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:27 PM

Charles mentioned Bolex cameras, among others. I recently purchased a Bolex RX for use as a "crash" cam and have been happy with it so far. Mine is a wind-up (no batteries), has a turret with three lenses, and seems rugged. I expect you could find one for around $500, and I think it'd be good for the type of stuff you're wanting to shoot.

As for the cost of film, it'll probably be around $27 for 100 feet (2 min, 45 seconds). Plan to spend at least another 20 cents per foot for processing and telecine. And keep in mind that most labs will have some kind of minimum price per job -- I'd plan on at least $75.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

CineTape

Tai Audio

The Slider

Visual Products

Wooden Camera