Ckulakov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Student
  • Washington D.C.

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

Dear Filmmakers,

What are some films shot at hotel or resort with romatic and beautifull swimming pool scenes. I need to see some examples for one of my scenes.

THANK YOU

#2 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:00 PM

Dear Filmmakers,

What are some films shot at hotel or resort with romatic and beautifull swimming pool scenes. I need to see some examples for one of my scenes.

THANK YOU

I have no idea what you mean by a romantic and beautiful swimming pool scene, but there is a short story by a wonderful and quite important US writer named John Cheever, who wrote mostly for The New Yorker, called The Swimmer about a man living in the suburbs who swam from neighbour's pool to neighbour's pool, that was turned into a rather quirky film with Kirk Douglas.

My apologies if I am wrong in attributing this story to Cheever, or if I have the wrong actor - it is my best recollection.

#3 Ckulakov

Ckulakov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Student
  • Washington D.C.

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:57 PM

I just want to see some films that have well captured scenes taking place in a indoor swimming pool with light coming through windows or something close.

THANK YOU

Edited by Ckulakov, 15 January 2006 - 11:58 PM.

#4 Dylan Munro

Dylan Munro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

I just want to see some films that have well captured scenes taking place in a indoor swimming pool with light coming through windows or something close.

THANK YOU

I think it was in Cruel Intentions that there was an indoor pool scene, but there were no external windows to speak of.

#5 Ckulakov

Ckulakov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Student
  • Washington D.C.

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

Thanks dylanmunro.

IM SURE THERE ARE MOVIES WITH GOOD POOL SCENES

#6 Chris Cooke

Chris Cooke
  • Sustaining Members
  • 246 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lethbridge, AB Canada

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

You probably allready get AC magazine and have seen this but if not, check out the inside cover. About 2 months ago Kodak was doing a nice add with a woman in an indoor pool with shafts of light hitting her from an exterior window visible in the shot. They've been showing this add for a while but I know for sure that it's in the August issue.

#7 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:02 AM

THANK YOU

I apologize for thinking that reading a short story by John Cheever, or seeing a film based on his writing, might be a useful way for you to spend time.

#8 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:53 AM

All the resorts I can think of are outdoors. Some general pool examples that come to mind (although I can't speak to the cinematography) are The Flamingo Kid, Swimming Pool, Wild Things, Gods and Monsters, The Glass House (can't remember a pool specifically, but great water reflections throughout film), The Girl Next Door, Leaving Las Vegas, Fast Times at Ridgement High, Old School, etc.

Interior scenes (don't think there are windows) are: Cruel Intentions, Reindeer Games, Blue, Swimfan, Man on Fire, etc.

#9 Adam Wallensten

Adam Wallensten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Student
  • Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:16 AM

"The Garden State" has a exterior swimmingpoolscen with an amazingly beautiful craneshot!

#10 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:13 AM

"matchstick men" has quite a bit interior and exterior

thanks

Rolfe

#11 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3059 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:04 AM

The Swimmer about a man living in the suburbs who swam from neighbour's pool to neighbour's pool, that was turned into a rather quirky film with Kirk Douglas.
recollection.

I think it was actually Burt Lancaster in the film, but you're right, it had a lot of poolside scenes, each different in tone as the main characters' mental state deteriorated.

I remember the film being very good. It was also 'homaged' by Levi Strauss in one of their 501 commercials from the 80's.

#12 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:43 PM

I think it was actually Burt Lancaster in the film, but you're right, it had a lot of poolside scenes, each different in tone as the main characters' mental state deteriorated.

I remember the film being very good. It was also 'homaged' by Levi Strauss in one of their 501 commercials from the 80's.

There's a great poolside scene (well, it's not a great scene, but it looks nice) in "When a Man Loves a Woman"

http://imdb.com/title/tt0111693/

(written by Al Franken?)

Also "The Graduate", "The Year of Living Dangerously", "Sexy Beast" and for night-time pool scenes, you can't beat "Species":

http://www.riotvideo...Pool_Scene.html

Also "Bottle Rockets" and "Boogie Nights".

#13 MatthewJClark

MatthewJClark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

Check out "Laurel Canyon." There are a few scenes, both day and night, that revolve around the pool. Nice looking moments. I can't think off hand the name, but there were a few James Bond movies, early on in the series, that had some great pool action.

mjc

#14 Peter Waal

Peter Waal
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

There's a great "resort" movie shot in black and white called Last Year at Marienbad. Can't recall any pool shots, per se, but the camerawork is beautiful, very architechtural.

Pretty sexy nighttime pool shots in Black Widow with Theresa Russell :) Conrad Hall was the DP.

#15 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:28 AM

"cocoon" has a cool pool scene int/day and night

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS