#1 zoostory

zoostory

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:05 PM

Hey all, I have read a lot of great posts here about rear projection that have answered most of my questions, but I have a few more. I am shooting a student film on regular 16mm, filmstock tbd. We have a big sound stage at our disposal over at USC. We are shooting a film with dreamlike flashbacks of two people in a feild in Poland. At times they are in a super saturated world, at times they are in a grey horrible world, but the location is the same. Obviously, option 1 is use practical locations. Option 2 (what I am more interested in) is creating a dreamlike world. I am not opposed to letting people know this is a 2d surface, like the Blvd of Broken dreams video for instance, or the old NIN perfect drug video. We can use cycs or flats, but I am a multimedia guy, so it seems like back projection would open up a lot of options, and may even come out cheaper.

So here are the questions.

1) What is the best place in town (Los Angeles) to rent a projector and screen. Any place in particular that is friendly to SC film students?

2) What LCD projector would you recommend? What lumens, resolution, etc? I don't want something too weak, but on the flip side I don't want to blow too much money on something the size of a hum-v if we don't need it. For that matter, what is a good deal out there for a weekend rental?

3) Are there any things to watch out for in terms of color balance? That is, if we shoot tungsten will it come out too blue? should we but an 85 or something over the projector? etc...

any tips, suggestions would be duly appreciated!

Stephan

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab