#1 Dylan Munro

Dylan Munro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

Hi,

I am quite new to film making and have just finished assisting a friend with a short film he wrote for a competition. I filmed and edited the project for him, and being my first effort, I wanted to get some feedback. The camera used was a Sony HVR-Z1P and I edited it using Adobe Premiere 1.5.1

I currently have a copy of the film on my computer at home along with some still frames which people are more than welcome to view and offer feedback on. The MPEG file doesn't give a true indication of the finished product in terms of contrast and colour, but the still shots do.

http://202.92.86.22/filthyhabits

I look forward to any constructive criticism, except for the acting, I had no control over that.

Dylan.

#2 James Greenall

James Greenall

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:37 PM

Hi Dylan

I liked the movie but felt some of the edits were a bit too short which detracted from development of the atmosphere. The brief shots work well in the chase sequence but the pace of some of the viewpoint changes during the initial scene in the car and in the interview room jar a little on the viewer. I appreciate that you are limited to the actual material you have got to edit but try and let the shot develop just a little more before switching angle. For example in the interview scenes there are a couple of points where the point of view switched to the younger investigator without any justification (either dialogue or a reaction shot.)

#3 Dylan Munro

Dylan Munro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

Thank you for your reply, and yes I would tend to agree. The original cut, which I did as per the script came to 10 and a half minutes and did allow the story to develop a lot more in some areas, the interview scene especially. There were points where I would have liked to leave pauses for effect. Unfortunately, the Tropfest competition we entered it into required that the film run for no longer than 7 minutes and there was a lot of cutting to do.

Thanks again for taking the time to download our film and watch it. I appreciate the feedback.

Edited by dylanmunro, 24 January 2006 - 04:44 PM.

Glidecam

Abel Cine

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Visual Products