Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:39 AM

Gents,

I need a fast education on Zeiss lenses. I have the link to cinematechnic.com for a general description. What I want to know is: What are the not-so-good ones and what are the good ones. Especially, what are the shortcomings of particular Marks I-III.

Thanks in advance

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:09 AM

Are you talking about the Zeiss Superspeeds?

The Mark I are T1.4 and have only a 3 bladed iris, so out of focus highlights get that rounded off triangle look, which might or might not be your thing. Subsequent Marks are a tad faster (T1.3) and I suppose there have been some optical improvements on them as well. I'm sure Mitch can give you more details.

#3 Mike Williamson

Mike Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:38 AM

The three bladed iris can look TERRIBLE under the wrong conditions, I'd say avoid them like the plague. I guess that may be a personal thing, but I'm having a hard time imagining any kind of situation where it would be appealing.

My advice would be to test whatever lens you're renting/buying, as it seems like there is great variation among the many sets of Superspeeds out there. I shot with a beautiful set last summer (mark III's), whereas I'm working with several sets I don't trust right now in class (mark I and II's). I'd say make sure you get a matched set rather than trying to cobble one together, otherwise you're bound to have matching issues.

If you're talking about Superspeeds vs. Standards, I'm not sure what the fine differences are, though I'd love to hear anyone comment on them.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:40 AM

Gents,

I need a fast education on Zeiss lenses. I have the link to cinematechnic.com for a general description. What I want to know is: What are the not-so-good ones and what are the good ones. Especially, what are the shortcomings of particular Marks I-III.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

The mechanics got better! Optically there a slight difference between MK I - MK II. MK III are the same optically as the MK II but the focus is much better spaced out.

If you don't mind BNCR mount, Ultracam Lenses are Series I redesigned with 16 Iris Blades except the 18mm that has 6 blades. There very cheep if you find them.

Stephen

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

Adding to what's already been said, the Mark 1 lenses had a big issue with finding the "sweet spot." Wide open, they would flare easily and suffer from contrast and spherical abberation issues. Stop down too much (beyond 4/5.6 split or so), and the resolution would begin to drop off very quickly. In general they really performed their best between 2/2.8 -- 4, a fairly narrow range.

I found the Mark 2s would have poorer contrast wide open, and the Mark 3s a tab less so, but still an issue.

Some people prefer a little less contrast wide open, say for shooting at night. Some DPs add Ultracons or other low con filters for night ext. shooting where practical streetlamps appear in frame. Of course it's nice to have a choice in the matter...

Visual Products

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies