Tom Tavee

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

hi everyone!-
excuse my newbie ignorance. Currently prepping a new documentary that involves alot
of talking heads intercut with stills,super 8 and bad consumer DV footage. Really straightforward stuff.
My last (and first) doc was with poisonous snakes and I used the DVX 100 due to the size,image and 24p.
It was great for that learning experience and I learned alot...
I sold the camera right after the shooting was wrapped, to help fund post prod. I was all hooked on the HDV
buzz and am coming to realize I'm not ready to invest cash I don't have, to bring this doc in HDV if it's
not necessary.
So I was wondering if $3500 at B&H for a used JVC DY-5000 (w/the stock 14X Fujinon)
would be better for my needs than a new Sony FX-1 or another DVX?
I like the larger chips and shallower dop and I don't have the funds for the more expensive JVC HDV 100/etc.
I plan on selling whatever camera I end
up buying after, to jump into HDV when it's a little more evolved/settled.
I know that I can always use a pro-mist or an ND to bring the f-stop down, but it doesn't seem the same
as a larger chip. Or am I wrong? When it's all edited down to a SD DVD via FCP, will it make any difference?
Someone brought up the issue of using a larger camera during interviews will sometimes command more respect from the subject. I know this sometimes works with still images. Any comments on that idea?
Sorry to ramble...just confused as what to buy...need to start shooting interviews within a week's time...thx!

#2 Tim Brown

Tim Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:40 PM

Hello Tom,

I've worked with both the 500 and the 5000 from JVC and each are good cameras with the 5000 getting the nod as it is an update to the 500. If $3,500 is indeed the price from B&H on a used 5000 with the 14x lens, then that is a tremendous value.

The JVC will give you better depth of field as well as better low-light performance over the DVX - own one of these as well - but I'm not certain with regards to comparing low-light performance with the Sony FX-1. I would assume with as many pixels as it has that the JVC would out perform this cam in low-light as well.

My advice would be to buy what you can afford and what would have a decent resale value and the 5000 seems to be a great bargain.

Are you using an older version of FCP? The latest version has support for HDV so that shouldn't deter you from shooting in HDV. Some people believe that down-converted HDV has more saturation and better contrast than SD originated material going to DVD, but from my personal experience I have not known this to be true.

Edited by tim brown, 16 January 2006 - 10:41 PM.

#3 Tom Tavee

Tom Tavee

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

hi Tim-thanks for your input.

here's the link to the camera. I checked it out yesterday in person and it is a
factory refurbished unit. They have about 12 of them in stock. The manufacturing dates
on them vary.
I don't know how many hours are on the drum/etc. though, but the warranty is for 90 days.
Which should cover my shooting schedule. Am I playing fire? I've had great
dealings with B&H on new products/returns , but have never bought a used
item from them.

http://www.bhphotovi...egoryNavigation

I have the latest FCP and heard that the down converted HDV made for a better image
on SD as well...Would love to see someone post results on that!

Another thing I was worried about is wear and tear. I have a Sony GVD-1000 VTR so I don't
wear down the heads on my camera in post. When I do eventually goto HDV, I would like to have a
deck as well and I just don't have the money yet.

thanks again!-Tom

#4 Tim Brown

Tim Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:25 PM

I've bought new and used from B&H and have had nothing but great experiences with those guys. The 5000 is a tremendous value -- 1/2 inch specs at 1/4 inch prices.

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS