• Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • West Yorkshire, UK

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

Hi,
everybody

I'm looking into purchasing this particular camera for use in the production of independant projects. Could any body shed some light on whether or not the camera actually has a 'true' 25p function or is it a puesdo 25p facility much like the cineframe feature on the HDV Z1.

Regards,
Steven

#2 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

steven

the dvx100 has true 25p

i use it all the time in music videos shorts and now for a drama i plan to shoot

i have one thing to say great great cam

i like it more then the dsr570 or any sony cam(pd170 or z1)

#3 Steven Wyatt

Steven Wyatt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • West Yorkshire, UK

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

Hello,

Ramdop, thanks for your insightful comments. The reasearch that I have carried out, seem to indicate that this is a camera tailored for drama peices. However would I expect much in the way of an improvement from upgrading from my canon XL-1S?

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:04 PM

Well, "improvement" isn't really the right word, more that 25P will add a filmic quality than 50i capture, and with slightly more resolution than the fake 25P frame-mode on the PAL Canon XL-1S.

#5 Steven Wyatt

Steven Wyatt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • West Yorkshire, UK

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:37 PM

Thanks David Mullen, however the reason why i'm asking this is because i've recently procured a micro35 adaptor from redrock micro, and as you may already know your going to lose a few stops of light, which therefore obligates us to lighting scenes. I was under the understanding that the canon XL-1S has a longer lens (88mm) compared the Panasonic AG-DVX100 meaning that material shot on this adaptor with the Canon would need more light compared to the latter. So my question is, will a camera with a longer focal length effect the volume of light passing from the adaptor into the camera lens? Would any thing to be gained aside from the 25p function and added resolution by purchasing the Panasonic DVX.

Regards,
Steve

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

So my question is, will a camera with a longer focal length effect the volume of light passing from the adaptor into the camera lens? Would any thing to be gained aside from the 25p function and added resolution by purchasing the Panasonic DVX.

The answer to the first is I don't know, and the answer to the second is, isn't that a good enough reason?

#7 Andrew Nicholson

Andrew Nicholson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:12 AM

The answer to the first is I don't know, and the answer to the second is, isn't that a good enough reason?

When using a 35mm adapter it makes no difference whether you shoot 25P or 50i. I recommend 50i as you will get slightly more light capture and it also allows for the option of doing "slow mo" in post

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam