Erik Turestedt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Director
  • Sweden

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

Hello,

I´m currently working with a short film shot on super 16. My first thougth was to do a onelight to HD, and then edit it in AVID.

When we talk about Avid express pro HD (Dnx hd), is HD 1080p or 720p? Is it HD from DVC pro HD only? Or is it possible to do a 2k edit? Ofcourse with raid disks.

Best regards,

Erik Turestedt

#2 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

Hello,

I´m currently working with a short film shot on super 16. My first thougth was to do a onelight to HD, and then edit it in AVID.

When we talk about Avid express pro HD (Dnx hd), is HD 1080p or 720p? Is it HD from DVC pro HD only? Or is it possible to do a 2k edit? Ofcourse with raid disks.
Best regards,
Erik Turestedt

Avid HD is there own codec, although it has now been licenced to a camera manufacturer for ENG work (cant remember which one). It comes in different strengths and flavours, but in my opinion it is not that great even in it's least lossy version. there are few post houses that will TK straight to AvidHD, so you should TK to eithere D5, HDCAM, or an SD (for offline) and then didge to whatever system you want. think carefully about one lighting to HD - would this be your final master for online, if not why HD at all. for 2k on an avid you need and avid nitris which, without being rude, would be probably out of your price range.

keith

#3 Erik Turestedt

Erik Turestedt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Director
  • Sweden

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

Avid HD is there own codec, although it has now been licenced to a camera manufacturer for ENG work (cant remember which one). It comes in different strengths and flavours, but in my opinion it is not that great even in it's least lossy version. there are few post houses that will TK straight to AvidHD, so you should TK to eithere D5, HDCAM, or an SD (for offline) and then didge to whatever system you want. think carefully about one lighting to HD - would this be your final master for online, if not why HD at all. for 2k on an avid you need and avid nitris which, without being rude, would be probably out of your price range.

keith

Thanks Keith,

What I want is to be able to add titles and grade the film without having to involve a grading artist. As the film will be aprox half an hour, I don't think I can afford it. Therefore I thought that a good onelight to HD would enable me to grade it further digital. Limited ofcourse, but much better than shooting digital. I could then add titles and post it on HD. After that, if the project is succesfull and I get budget, print back on film.

Is this a bad way? I's there a better solution?

If I cut offline, does't it get much more expensive? How do I solve the titling problem?

Best regards,

Erik

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:34 PM

Thanks Keith,

What I want is to be able to add titles and grade the film without having to involve a grading artist. As the film will be aprox half an hour, I don't think I can afford it. Therefore I thought that a good onelight to HD would enable me to grade it further digital. Limited ofcourse, but much better than shooting digital. I could then add titles and post it on HD. After that, if the project is succesfull and I get budget, print back on film.

Is this a bad way? I's there a better solution?

If I cut offline, does't it get much more expensive? How do I solve the titling problem?

Best regards,

Erik

I recommend that you have all your footage transfered to Hard drive as uncompressed HD. That is 1920 x 1080 10 bit, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4. Ask the lab, most nower days are doing this, although it may be new to them. Most low budget shows can't afford to cut in this format, so you make offline clips in either SD or DVCPro HD, which might fit your needs very well. While in DVCPro HD, you do your editorial, color grade and titles. When and if the money comes in for a proper online, take your hard drive with the umcompressed media and an EDL to a post house and voila! This is the most bang for your buck you are going to get. I think that DVCPro HD is a great intermediate format, most macs running the last few versions of Final Cut Pro can handle it with minimal fuss. Also, you will need about 460 gigs for an hour of uncompressed HD. So purchasing one of those huge mobile drives is needed. The cost saved in not having to rent a deck, can be put toward the hard drive/s and eventually your online. I am in the middle of a short where we are doing this very same production path. I will share all my experiences as they happen. Good Luck.

#5 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:26 AM

I recommend that you have all your footage transfered to Hard drive as uncompressed HD. That is 1920 x 1080 10 bit, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4. Ask the lab, most nower days are doing this, although it may be new to them. Most low budget shows can't afford to cut in this format, so you make offline clips in either SD or DVCPro HD, which might fit your needs very well. While in DVCPro HD, you do your editorial, color grade and titles. When and if the money comes in for a proper online, take your hard drive with the umcompressed media and an EDL to a post house and voila! This is the most bang for your buck you are going to get. I think that DVCPro HD is a great intermediate format, most macs running the last few versions of Final Cut Pro can handle it with minimal fuss. Also, you will need about 460 gigs for an hour of uncompressed HD. So purchasing one of those huge mobile drives is needed. The cost saved in not having to rent a deck, can be put toward the hard drive/s and eventually your online. I am in the middle of a short where we are doing this very same production path. I will share all my experiences as they happen. Good Luck.

This is good advice "zaefod" (I feel embarressed, why don't you use your real name?): to clarify i assume that you are converting the 10Bit4:4:4 to dvcproHD, or an SD format for offline via QTpro? This advice will also work if you are wanting to work on an Avid via the same process, transfer your footage to HD on hard drives downconvert to the avid codec with QTpro or another programme and then you should be fine to follow the same workflow. you might even be able to blag some time on a Avid HD suite, so make sure that any effects/ titles you do are compatible from your Avid Xpress to your online machine.

Keith

#6 Erik Turestedt

Erik Turestedt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Director
  • Sweden

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:32 PM

Thanks a lot,

It sounds like a very good idea.

Broadcast Solutions Inc