How to Light an Interrogation Scene?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rob Stone

Rob Stone
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:13 AM

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to lighting and am in the process of buying in lights on an extremely tight budget for a film I'm working on. One of the scenes is an interrogation, and I need to make the actresses look good as well as brightly lit.

Was going to opt for a cliched swinging bare lightbulb above a table where the two actresses are sitting around. The table is 4ft X 2.5 ft and the key light will be 12 feet above them.

As I want to create a definite circle of light around the whole table and chairs, and deep shadow around them I was thinking using a PAR56 300 watt light as they are cheap and accessible, but as I have no experience with them I don't know what angle of light on the bulbs to order. Narrow or very narrow? Should I buy barn doors for them too? Am shooting using a PD170 so I thought 300Watts would be enough. But I want the whole scene to look burned out. I also want the background to look completely black. I've ordered some black fabric to go 180 degrees around the set but the table is only about six foot from the background at every angle, so I'm really worried about spill.

But what would I do about a fill light, as I don't want grotesque looking shadows on the actresses faces. Would PAR36s be any use or using PAR56s again? The only other lights I have at the moment are redheads and reflectors.

Would appreciate any help you folks could give. This is my first time posting and am really keen to get this project right as it's being done for love not money.

#2 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:31 AM

My ideas - quick and dirty

Get a bunch of lights pointing down and put them above the table out of shot - wrap the light frame with black fabric. Soften it a bit : this will be your top interrogation light and will allow you to darken the background by exposing for the light tunnel

"Beauty" light is going depend on a moving camera or not

For a still camera - put a hard snooted butterfly light above the camera and adjust output for taste
Moving camera - get a glass table and put a light under the table - make sure there is no spill and once again adjust output to taste

Watch the trailers for "V for Vendetta" and "I Robot" for ideas

hope that helps

Rolfe

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products