Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:37 AM

hi all

planing to buy new cam. i was sure i will buy the new hvx200 since iam a big fan of the dvx

but i read good thing about the XLHD1

which one to buy ????? i read every thing i can about the cams and still can make my mind.

any one test them side by side????

#2 Chien Huey

Chien Huey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:07 AM

Personally, I'd wait for the HVX200 over the XLHD1. My reasons are these (in order of importance):

1. HVX200 records to P2 cards in DVCPRO/50/HD instead of HDV.
2. Higher resolution 1080p vs. 1080i - not that resolution is the end-all-be-all.
3. Variable frame rates (12, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 30, 32, 36, 48, 60fps) - only in 720p mode

The first reason is really why I'd pick the HVX. Most of what I shoot is on location and the HVX has the ability to record to P2 in a lesser compressed format than I could with the Canon which only does DV/HDV with their on-camera deck.

That said, I like the Canon layout (for controls) better than the Panasonic's. I also Canon's focus and zoom presets. But in the end, the Canon is designed for a studio environment where you can plug the camera into a HD backend via the HD-SDI interface and get uncompressed HD. Granted you could also have an HD backend on location but the projects I'm working on cannot afford that.

It sounds cliche, but it's true -- the right camera depends on your requirements.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Fast Chieney, 18 January 2006 - 09:12 AM.

#3 Robert Sanders

Robert Sanders
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Director
  • Studio City, CA

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

There was a shootout conducted at DVXUser.com and the Canon XL-H1 blew away the other cameras on the resolution charts. Also, the Canon's form factor benefits from multiple years of accessories and lenses that plug right onto the Canon (thanks to the XL1 and XL2). To me, that was what pushed me to decide on the Canon. I can use the manual 14x and/or 16x lens. Plus all the matte boxes, support, etc are already available and decently priced.

Higher resolution.
Multiple lens options.
Numerous accessories.
TRUE Uncompressed HD-SDI output (which bypasses the HDV encoder) for recording straight to disc (or HDCAM, D5, etc.).

The HVX200 and the JVC HD100 are also great cameras. To choose one over the other is ultimately splitting hairs.

CineLab

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post