#1 Steve Ford

Steve Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hi Gang

I am shooting a person standing in front of a portible green screen. Space is limited so there will not be a lot of moving around... just a guy speaking either WS, MS or CU, and I'll cut between them later in post. My question is... which is the best setting for the camera 60i, 30P or 24P. As far as I know, the only place that this will be shown is on the internet if that makes any difference in the decision. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Steve

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

In theory it shouldn't make much of a difference. But from my understanding all internet stuff is turned into a progressive frame anyway, it couldn't hurt to start there. Also, this would remove any interlace "twitter" artifacting, where one field does not quite line up with the other due to a slight movement of the subject between the two fields. So I would say that a progressive format would yield a better aresult, but probably by a miniscule amount.

#3 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

I agree, there won't be much of a difference, though I'd personally prefer working with a progressive frame than an interlaced one. (Keep in mind that the P modes on the camera are all laid down to tape at 60i).

If you really don't have a preference aesthetically between the modes, I would probably go with 30P, since you don't have the judder frames from the 2:3 pulldown on 24P. If you want to shoot 24P, it'd be best to go with 24PA 2:3:3:2, remove the pulldown during capture, comp in a 24P timeline, then add the 2:3 pulldown back when you output.

J

#4 Steve Ford

Steve Ford
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

Thank you so much for the imput. One of my major concerns was any blurring from rapid hand motions... my client tends to talk with his hands. I wasn't sure which mode would best capture the blur best in order to avoid that green glowing trail that can appear.

#5 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:03 PM

Thank you so much for the imput. One of my major concerns was any blurring from rapid hand motions... my client tends to talk with his hands. I wasn't sure which mode would best capture the blur best in order to avoid that green glowing trail that can appear.

That green glowing trail can usually be taken out by proper lighting of the green screen.

Two back lights, two front lights (zip softs work great), actors lights, and a slight hairlight.

And make sure that there is no green reflecting off the wall onto your character, I've had to have someone 10-15 feet away from the wall, to make it work, which is default.

Use Kinos!

Edited by Jmetzger, 19 January 2006 - 04:03 PM.

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Metropolis Post