#1 Andrew Koch

Andrew Koch
  • Sustaining Members
  • 243 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Burbank, California

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

Hi,

I am about to shoot a student film on regular 16mm. It will be telecined to D5 and matted to 1:85. The last project I shot was super 16 transferred to D5 with a 1:85 aspect ratio as well. The super 16 footage was 7205 250D and tranferred quite nicely. It was sharp as a tack and the resolution was phenonmenal. I only have acess to a regular 16mm camera for this next project which will be shot on 7229. Since this footage will have to be cropped more than the super16, am I going to have enough resolution from the film to make a sharp HD tranfer, or will it be slightly blurry. I would love to test it, but we do not have the budget for it. I am okay with the footage being a little grainy, my concern is will the reduced resolution be a problem.

Has anyone done an HD 1:85 transfer from regular 16mm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Andrew

#2 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

Considering people have cropped/blown-up regular 16mm films to 35mm (CLERKS and EL MARIACHI come to mind), I would guess r16mm to HD shouldn't be a problem.

That's just a guess, though, as I haven't tried it personally.

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

Hi,

I am about to shoot a student film on regular 16mm. It will be telecined to D5 and matted to 1:85. The last project I shot was super 16 transferred to D5 with a 1:85 aspect ratio as well. The super 16 footage was 7205 250D and tranferred quite nicely. It was sharp as a tack and the resolution was phenonmenal. I only have acess to a regular 16mm camera for this next project which will be shot on 7229. Since this footage will have to be cropped more than the super16, am I going to have enough resolution from the film to make a sharp HD tranfer, or will it be slightly blurry. I would love to test it, but we do not have the budget for it. I am okay with the footage being a little grainy, my concern is will the reduced resolution be a problem.

Has anyone done an HD 1:85 transfer from regular 16mm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Andrew

I suggest giving the 7229 just a bit of overexposure (no more than a stop), which should help reduce graininess at the higher magnification needed for a Regular 16 transfer.

#4 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

When cropped to a 1.85 ratio, Super 16 (.488"x.263") offers 46% more film surface than standard 16mm (.404"x.218"). The tremendous loss in usable negative area will undoubtedly result in a softer transfer to D5. I am assuming you are speaking of D5 when it is in 4:2:2 1080p). I have transfered 7205, 7212, 7245 Super 16 to D5 and HDCAM from a Spirit 2k, as you have have done too, and yes the sharpness and resolution of the negative is more than adequate when you have a properly exposed negative (I realize this is subjective). However, having shot some standard 16mm tests (Fuji 250D and Kodak 7205) myself and transfered to HDCAM (1.78), I wasn't very pleased with the results. Again, it all depends on what your expectations are and the style of the look that you are going for, but I think the image will be unacceptably soft. If you are shooting with 7229, I would rate the stock at 320 ASA to get the extra density on the negative . If you were going to a 720p format I would feel okay, but a 1080p format is a bit of a stretch for standard 16mm. Ultimately, testing is the only real way to find out as there are other variables such as lenses, camera steadyness, and telecine that will affect the resolution throughout your production pipeline.

Edited by Joshua Reis, 18 January 2006 - 11:37 PM.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:46 AM

Hi,

If the lenses you use are very sharp, then you will get a good result. Using old cheep zoom lenses from ebay, will produce a sub standard result.

Stephen

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Opal

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc