Crossroads and Connections

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Josh Weise

Josh Weise
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

Man o' man I'm in a dilemma. I really want to gain experience working in the Camera Dept. The problem is there are no opportunities were I live to work for free as a PA or other crew position.

I've tried state/ regional film commission websites, film production websites, contacting rental houses for entry-level jobs, and trying to stay in contact w/ previous crews I've worked with. I've received no response as far as commercials, shorts, or music videos.

The shows I've found in the past are few and far between, like a couple of months, and I never hear anything back from these production companies after we finish shooting. I'll end up working as a grip or set PA when I do find something.

I live in N. Carolina and it seems like there are no projects in pre-production even though we are supposedly the third largest state that generates revenue from film/ tv.

My question is how do I gain experience w/o moving to LA or NY where there seems to be more projects to get onboard??

#2 Cole Webley

Cole Webley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:16 AM

Man o' man I'm in a dilemma. I really want to gain experience working in the Camera Dept. The problem is there are no opportunities were I live to work for free as a PA or other crew position.

I've tried state/ regional film commission websites, film production websites, contacting rental houses for entry-level jobs, and trying to stay in contact w/ previous crews I've worked with. I've received no response as far as commercials, shorts, or music videos.

The shows I've found in the past are few and far between, like a couple of months, and I never hear anything back from these production companies after we finish shooting. I'll end up working as a grip or set PA when I do find something.

I live in N. Carolina and it seems like there are no projects in pre-production even though we are supposedly the third largest state that generates revenue from film/ tv.

My question is how do I gain experience w/o moving to LA or NY where there seems to be more projects to get onboard??

Thats tough...I don't know how old you are i.e. how much time you have before you need a full time job, income, etc. Film school is what has done it for me--working on films and then getting to know the camera department and asking for numbers!! Then not being afraid to call later and ask if there is any job that they need some help on--D. Mullen mentioned that a DP must be a bit obsessed with self-educating and I am learning that this is so true...read as many books on the subject you can...also another thing that seems to help is going out and shooting things if you REALLY want to do camera--I mean, if people see you are shooting stuff and you can somehow get someone to look at something that you've shot on film (without pushing too much) I think most decent people would appreciate the enthusiasm...and if you are talented and determined they will recognize it and want you to be around them on shoots. I don't know, this seems to be what has worked with me and what has gotten me jobs during the summer when I am not in film school.

I hope this helps. Best of Luck.

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal