Photo

HAT? baseball cap? ACS? ASC? Kodak? Fuji? Production name?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:37 AM

Do you wear a hat? If so, what hat do you wear to work?

Do you hang onto production hats? How many production hats do you have? - imdb should ask to see production HATS before passing on credit :D

#2 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

Do you wear a hat? If so, what hat do you wear to work?

Do you hang onto production hats? How many production hats do you have? - imdb should ask to see production HATS before passing on credit :D

always a top hat, i dont know about union rules in oz, but in the uk you can get fined if you dont wear a top hat. although obviously grips and sparks are exempt- they have to wear flat caps.

keith

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:05 AM

Lots of hats and shirts. Certainly some from Kodak, but also promotional items from productions. Get lots of production "swag" from the theatre owners conventions like ShoWest and ShowEast, not to mention lots of theatre candy and concession items.

In Rochester winters, I usually need a warm cap. Currently wearing a Kodak Winter Olympic sponsorship hat and jacket. Still wearing one of the nice leather jackets that Kodak gave to members of the team that developed Kodak VISION Color Print Film having anti-static properties to resist dirt pickup during projection.

#4 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:58 AM

I prefer a cowboy hat, unless it's cold, then I go for a wool cap (to keep the ears warm).

"Imdb should ask to see production HATS before passing on credit."

No fair -- the productions I work on are usually lucky to be able to afford lunch, much less hats.

Edited by chance, 20 January 2006 - 10:59 AM.

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:02 AM

In the winter a wool or cotton cap--just too cold not to cover the ears. In the summer it's a fedora, especially if we're shooting outside. I burn easy and don't want the sun in my eyes. One AC used to call me the Indiana Jones of indie film. The only time I wear the ball caps is [1] in the presence of the producer who supplied it on the day they pass them out on set, [2] under my hood when shooting in the rain, [3] walking my dogs.

Wearing a swag t-shirt right now as I prepare to paint the baby's bedroom.

#6 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:08 AM

No fair -- the productions I work on are usually lucky to be able to afford lunch, much less hats.

true that! im in the same boat!

Got a lot of friends that will show up to indi productions wearing hats they got from big budget productions, merely to set the status :angry: hehe - got to love it!

cowboy hat is popular with productions shot in Oz, by those that aint Aussie... odd ha? A friend just got off from Middle of Nowhere where they religiously wore FLY hats... too many flies in the outback of Oz.
http://www.workingti...hp?featureID=81

PS. I got a fedora hat on right now, as I am working through my script edits...its my writing hat;

Edited by lav, 20 January 2006 - 11:13 AM.

#7 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

favorite swag is one of those Birns and Sawyer floppy sun hats that you can tie up the brim for a more rakish look- worst is an old-style Arri Crew baseball cap that looks more like a feed-store hat.

#8 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:31 PM

I must have 15 or 20 Panavision hats because I always wear them, and they always get disgusting after a show, so I replace it, but of course never throw it away ;)

I am currently wearing a Panavision hat as I go to leave for Panavision in the next few minutes.

Kevin Zanit

#9 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

i have a hat from panavision australia, which i got from their goldcoast office, around your corner :) but i rarely wear it.

#10 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

I have Panavision hats, Arri and Kodak shirts, but I never wear them on set. It's to cheesy, I think.

#11 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

i have a hat from panavision australia, which i got from their goldcoast office, around your corner :) but i rarely wear it.

I must be the only one without Panavision hat! That's it, I am getting one next time I am over there - probably Monday since we'll be checking a whole heap of lenses for the 35mm indi feature :) that ought to be worth a hat ...

#12 Matt Butler

Matt Butler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney,Australia

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

A broad brimmed hat with optional neck flap (the aussie sun is a killer) and an optional all round fly net (aussie blowflies don't taste very nice!)

cheers

#13 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:32 AM

I have sort of a canvas sunhat with mesh sides for working in the sun, plus an old beat-up straw cowboy hat that I got when shooting "Northfork" (it's nice & lightweight). Baseball caps don't do much to keep the sun off of your neck... I wear a wool or fleece cap in the cold (I have one with "Twin Falls Idaho" stitched in it.)

I got a nice Carthart jacket for "Astronaut Farmer" but it's a bit small. Got a nice heavy baseball / letterman-style coat from Fuji also on that shoot. Haven't worn it yet.

Got lots of promotional T-shirts and baseball caps piled up in my closet. Most of my T-shirts go to my wife for her workout gym clothes.

I don't know, but it seems odd to actually wear those things on a film set, although on a hot day, I will occasionally wear a Panavision T-shirt on a Panavision shoot. I've never been much for wearing logos of any kind on my clothing.

Sometimes I wonder if I should start dressing up more while I work on a film, stop looking like a slob with worn cuffs, faded colors, etc., but so often you ruin clothes on a shoot that I'd probably be pissed off to get something nice & new ruined by touching wet paint, etc.

#14 Trevor Swaim

Trevor Swaim
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:54 AM

Sometimes I wonder if I should start dressing up more while I work on a film, stop looking like a slob with worn cuffs, faded colors, etc., but so often you ruin clothes on a shoot that I'd probably be pissed off to get something nice & new ruined by touching wet paint, etc.

like some of the production photos from the 40's and 50's where everyone is in suits and ties, and the directors in riding pants :D

the only thing film related i have is an old Beaulieu t-shirt, but i don't wear it very often.

#15 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:33 AM

Animal pelts held together with strips of leather, Genghis Khan style.

#16 Dominik Muench

Dominik Muench
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brisbane

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:13 AM

Isnt Sam Raimi always directing in a nice suit ?
Theres a picture of him (if it is raimi) standing next to his DOP waist deep in a swomp, giving directions. :)

Edited by Dmuench, 22 January 2006 - 11:13 AM.

#17 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

The only hat I will ever wear on set, if at all, is my Red Sox hat. This is in part due to the fact that I don't have any other hats, but also due to my loyalties.

#18 smirkbyfire

smirkbyfire
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:58 AM

A beret or a kevlar helmet, depending on the shoot, but those are obviously not my choice

#19 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:13 PM

I wear a baseball cap if anything. I rarely wear my Panavision hats since the one's I have are heavier fabric and hotter than most.
I worked with a director last year that wore a tie everyday, but he wore it very loose around his neck and had his shirt sleeves rolled up and his shirt untucked. On the day we were doing crew pictures the whole crew dressed like the director. I had on shorts, a button down with sleeves rolled up, and a loose tie. It looked really funny when I was doing steadicam. There's a really funny picture that the other camera operator took of me doing a steadicam shot with my spotter, 1st A.C., and boom operator running next to me....all dressed the same way. I'll post it here for everyone's amusement when I get a copy.

#20 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:52 PM

I worked with a director last year that wore a tie everyday, but he wore it very loose around his neck and had his shirt sleeves rolled up and his shirt untucked. On the day we were doing crew pictures the whole crew dressed like the director. I had on shorts, a button down with sleeves rolled up, and a loose tie. It looked really funny when I was doing steadicam. There's a really funny picture that the other camera operator took of me doing a steadicam shot with my spotter, 1st A.C., and boom operator running next to me....all dressed the same way. I'll post it here for everyone's amusement when I get a copy.

grimmett, that sounds like a heaps funny picture! Do post it if you get a chance.
Cheers,

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Tai Audio

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Opal