#1 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:02 PM

Has anybody ever used this brand http://www.flolight.com/flo1400.htm before? How do they compare to Kino FLos? They don't dim but atleast they have 3 switches to vary output.

#2 Shawn Murphy

Shawn Murphy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Seattle

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:56 PM

At $499, with diffuser and egg crate, and given the cost of the Molescent Biax 8 (~$1350.00), or the Biax 4 (~$925.00), I'd be interested as well. It appears they both use the same lamps, but not sure about the ballasts or the CRI rating, the Moles don't seem to list a CRI and the Flolight's offer 3000k or 5000k at CRI- 86. I'd also like to know how these both compare to the Kinos. *also, the Kinos and the Moles come with dimmers, but that hardly justifies the price difference when a good dimmer costs around $50.

#3 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

I wouldn't think you could use a regular dimmer on these puppys. Maybe I am wrong since these are flicker free but I would think the ballast would have to do the dimming. Anyways it has 3 switches so you can have three levels of intensity. 2 lamps on,4 lamps on, or all 6. Seems sufficent for me. So did you confirm that the bulbs are the same as Mole and Kino? Yeah I just saw that it includes an eggcrate! Did you see the lamp life ?10,000 hours how can that be?

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

Those are the hours you get with flo bulbs. The supplied bulbs are not the very best, which is why they are brighter but with a relatively lower CRI. Since they come included free I'd get them in daylight balance since this is far easier to get a good CRI, even in cheaper bulbs. Yes, they use the same 55x biax bulbs used in the Mole and Kino Diva units. The price is certainly right but note that they ar every simple units with a pretty hefty weight and no case to protect them. Fine for studio work but I wonder how well they'd stand up in the field.

If you wander over to the Creative Cow Pro Lighting Forum you can find a thread the original designer and I had discussing these lights. He was ripped off by the Chinese factory he hired to construct them, but he still feels that they are decent lighting units. I am still awaiting a test unit from him to see for myself, but they are certainly priced right for basic use.

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Technodolly

Opal

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Glidecam

CineLab