David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:49 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

The Konvas 2M

What do you guys think about these things? They seem to be the K-3s of 35mm. I assume the lenses might be drastically sub-par...though anamorphics seem cheaper and more available for the OCT-19 mount. (edit - i just looked again on ebay, didn't see any anamorphics, though there were a slew earlier)

...also I see you would have to get adaptors for the mag to use Kodak cores...any other strange things about this camera?

Edited by David Sweetman, 21 January 2006 - 12:58 AM.

#2 Trevor Greenfield

Trevor Greenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Director
  • North Idaho

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

The Konvas 2M

What do you guys think about these things? They seem to be the K-3s of 35mm. I assume the lenses might be drastically sub-par...though anamorphics seem cheaper and more available for the funky OCT-19 mount.

There are quite a few threads on the Konvas here even its own sub forum which you may not have seen. In short, yes the lenses are pretty good and technically so are the cameras but they are loud (around 53db) and so they would take a miracle (or a lot of blimping and sound filtering) to shoot sound with. Much like the K3, however, many claim that these cameras can be used for B-roll very efficiently. Further, as can be obviously determined, this camera served on many European and Russian productions, some of which are very well known in foreign cinema circles.

#3 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:33 AM

hey thanks...i should have searched first, but didn't think of it.

#4 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:08 AM

Hey David,

The pickle with the Lomo lenses is trying to work out all those alpha/numerical designations. Make sure you're getting something that really works and can be assembled as a set. Of course, onesies and twosies won't color match, but DI makes that a small issue.

It seems that there are a few basic categories: 1). Spherical primes with the KAS anamorphic adapter mounted in front. Apparently, these are the worst choice. 2). Square fronts. They're an older design than the round fronts. They're cheaper than the round fronts. But, they don't get a great deal of respect from DPs here on the forum. 3). Round fronts. These are the best from the Lomo line. They suffer from the least of the design troubles that come with anamorphic lenses. They are the most expensive as well. Even so, they are a dang-sight cheaper than most anamorphic lenses. Most DPs here respect their quality.

The further issue is mounting. Either the camera has to be remounted (other than the appropriate Russian camera) or the lenses have to be remounted, in some cases, rehoused. As well, they don't clear the mirrors of all cameras. Juggling all of these factors to end up with a good camera and Lomo anamorphics can be a bit mind-bending. You'll need to make friends with a reliable lens tech to hold your hand through the process. They'll do it if there's a job in it for them. They don't like using a whole lot of time just answering questions (my experience). Trying to get a straight answer out of the Russian sellers on Ebay is, generally, a waist of time. They say whatever makes the sale (again, my experience only).

If you do make a move on them, please, let us all know how they work out.

Paul

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

The Konvas 2M

What do you guys think about these things? They seem to be the K-3s of 35mm. I assume the lenses might be drastically sub-par...though anamorphics seem cheaper and more available for the OCT-19 mount. (edit - i just looked again on ebay, didn't see any anamorphics, though there were a slew earlier)

...also I see you would have to get adaptors for the mag to use Kodak cores...any other strange things about this camera?

The Konvas 2M

---Actually the LOMOs are quite good, mechanically some are are beaten up. but visually are similar to older Cookes.

http://www.commiecam.com/

---LV

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Opal