#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:47 AM

I just recently got a 35 mm camera after years of doing strictly video. What are the must have filters for my pckage as well as any other must haves you would recomend to do second unit work. Thanks

#2 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:41 AM

When investing in building a filter library, it is first important to determine what size will best meet your current and future needs...Will the filter size work with your mattebox? Cover your widest lens? Common sizes that you will find are 4x4, 4x5, 4x5.65, and 138mm. For 35mm, I would recommend 4x5.65 (which will typicaly cover you up to a 14mm lens depending on the mattebox). Another popular, but bulkier size is 6.6x6.6. I defintely recommend the following as a good start for any camera package.

Set of NDs= .3,.6,.9
Color Correction= 85, 80A
Circular Polarizer
One of the following=Optical Flat, UV, or Skylight (great to have one if don't require filtration, but need something to protect the lens).

Once you have the basics, other popular filters to look into would be Black pro Mist, Low Contrast, Grads, Enhancers, and Corals. Another favorite of mine is the Black Diffusioin FX series.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

When investing in building a filter library, it is first important to determine what size will best meet your current and future needs...Will the filter size work with your mattebox? Cover your widest lens? Common sizes that you will find are 4x4, 4x5, 4x5.65, and 138mm. For 35mm, I would recommend 4x5.65 (which will typicaly cover you up to a 14mm lens depending on the mattebox). Another popular, but bulkier size is 6.6x6.6. I defintely recommend the following as a good start for any camera package.

Set of NDs= .3,.6,.9
Color Correction= 85, 80A
Circular Polarizer
One of the following=Optical Flat, UV, or Skylight (great to have one if don't require filtration, but need something to protect the lens).

Once you have the basics, other popular filters to look into would be Black pro Mist, Low Contrast, Grads, Enhancers, and Corals. Another favorite of mine is the Black Diffusioin FX series.

This is great, are there any other items (not necessarily filters) That you see as must or should haves

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport