35mm/35mm 3-perf Multiplication Factor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:14 AM

The standard 35mm photographic negative is placed vertically on a strip of 35mm negative as opposed to cine cameras where it's placed horizontally.

Thing is, what's the multiplication factor to make the focal length the equivalent of 35mm photographic?

i.e. a 24mm photographic lens, *should* be something like a 35mm on a cine camera, I'm thinking.

Any ideas?

Tnx,
Dan.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:35 AM

The standard 35mm photographic negative is placed vertically on a strip of 35mm negative as opposed to cine cameras where it's placed horizontally.

Thing is, what's the multiplication factor to make the focal length the equivalent of 35mm photographic?

i.e. a 24mm photographic lens, *should* be something like a 35mm on a cine camera, I'm thinking.

Any ideas?

Tnx,
Dan.

Dan,

Thats about right, mabe nearer 32mm if one was made for still photography. The Nikon D70 has almost the same image size a S35 (4 perf). Hope that helps.

Stephen

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:44 AM

Any ideas?

Tnx,
Dan.

You can work out this and any other conversions here: http://www.panavisio...lenseqvform.asp

A 24mm on a 35mm stills camera (32 x 24mm) would be the same as a 16mm on 35mm film or motion picture camera. So, if you multiply the 35mm stills lens focal length by 0.66, you'll get the 35mm cine equivalent (projected 1.85).

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Glidecam