rannis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Gainesville, Fl

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

I have the DSR-450. It tends to shoot a little hot, so I have grown to use zebras and not use auto iris. There is an adjustment on the auto iris that allows up to open/close the auto iris by one stop, but it does not 'hold' - once you power off the camera, you lose that (page 55/56 of the instructions). It looks like the other option is to tweak 'select the automatic iris window'. Any idea where it should be set to? You can adjust it so that you decide where 'light detection occurs'. I shoot educational stuff as well as 'news' stuff. I would like to be able to use (or at least have the option) to use auto iris when shooting b-roll for news. Even inside, under a nice refa light I get hot video if I use the auto iris, which tells me something, somewhere is off.

#2 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:32 PM

Why don't you give it to a repair technician, so that the auto iris is well calibrated. That would be the best. The menu settings are there for "special" settings, not for maintenance...

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

The problem is you are trusting a machine to do your job. At my office if a coworker comes back with hot video, or video shot with the auto iris they get made fun of, and with good reason. When you turn auto features on your no longer a photographer. Your a courier to get the camera in the right place and hit record. As I recall a lot of sonys shoot hot with autoiris, maybe because they assume most shots are hevily backlit, im not sure, but what is for sure is that auto iris will kill your chances at work. I will not put shots on air that have auto iris if I can avoid it because it doesnt give me any confidence in the video.

Practice the rules of B-roll. Patience and speed are both required. Find your shot, get a spec composition, set iris and shutter if that is on, and finalize your composition. then roll up.

As for the windowing, that refers to the portion it looks to to set its mark, and so there is no one corner of the camera you should be exposing to. It will change constantly and changing that window everytime will take much longer than using the dial exposure.

If you are shooting news then your bar is set low already. The quality of footage we get out of national is crap. Like they dont even care if the shot is right, as long as its somehow on tape and halfway recognizable. You have a chance to set yourself apart. or not.

#4 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

Thing is, even if the auto iris is not a good way of working, I guess the same problem occures with the momentary knob, doesn't it...

And I guess you would reckon, Michael, that that button is very usefull, wouldn't you ?

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc