#1 Foorever

Foorever

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:13 AM

I was wondering what the easiest way to do this is. Its very common to see a close up during a movie of someone talking, then the angle changes to show both people, but the SAME audio clip is used but matches perfectly. Do you do this by having multiple cameras? If so, you would mix the one audio track from the one camera to match the 2nd angle. I only have one camera, therefore do I use a sound recorder of some sort to do it? I'm buying the Panasonic AG-DVX100A and needed some sort of audio help. Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20074 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:43 AM

If you boom mic each angle well, and record it at the same levels, so that it sounds similar to that in the other angles, it shoud cut with the picture, although you often have the sound travel over the cut and cut the sound elsewhere. Sometimes when you are in one angle in the cut, like a close-up, and cut momentarily to a wider shot or a reverse of someone listening, you may keep the sound from the close-up going and match the lips in the wider shot to the close-up sound.

Then in the final sound edit and mix, you'd smooth it out further.

So ideally you'd have a boom mic and a portable mixer to mix the levels before they go into the camera, but on a smaller project, you can probably get away with testing the levels and setting them in the camera before the take.

Cutting dialogue sound is a real art, so don't think it will be easy, but it can be done as long as the recordings are decent.

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider