Studios outside of London

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:09 PM

Studios in London may be big and fancy, but I think the costs are partly due to it being in London. Are there any large studios outside of London?

What I wouldn't mind doing is building a large studio somewhere in Kent or wherever land is cheapest and hosting film productions there. I mean, bound to get quite a lot of business, I mean what's THAT good about London that everyone goes there? I know that's where the main film production places are, like all sound studios/post-production houses e.t.c. But still film makers could save a lot of money by just travelling a little further.

Don't know what you guys think... I reckon it's a pretty good idea though.

Give me your thoughts,
Cheers,
Dan.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:40 PM

Do you consider Pinewood Studios "inside" London?:

http://www.cinesite.com/?164

Or Elstree?:

http://www.elstreefi...any/contact.htm

Or Shepperton and Teddington?:

http://www.pinewoodshepperton.com/

Convenient connections to labs and post-production facilities are always an important consideration. Plus the ability to house and feed personnel for all the productions that may be working. Sometimes, cheap land is not worth the hassles of building far from a production center.

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:54 PM

Studios in London may be big and fancy, but I think the costs are partly due to it being in London. Are there any large studios outside of London?

What I wouldn't mind doing is building a large studio somewhere in Kent or wherever land is cheapest and hosting film productions there. I mean, bound to get quite a lot of business, I mean what's THAT good about London that everyone goes there? I know that's where the main film production places are, like all sound studios/post-production houses e.t.c. But still film makers could save a lot of money by just travelling a little further.

Don't know what you guys think... I reckon it's a pretty good idea though.

Give me your thoughts,
Cheers,
Dan.

Hi,

There was a TV studio in Kent 12 years ago. The first MasterChef TV series was taped their. I remember the producer saying he felt the savings were not really worth it, some of the crew ended up in hotels!

Stephen

#4 Chris Clarke

Chris Clarke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:24 PM

Hi.

The major studios, if your talking feature production, are all located around the outside of London to the west and north. As a consequence this is where most feature people live and production companies are based. If a studio were built in Kent the production companies would have to overnight the whole crew and pay them per diems.
It's swings and roundabouts though. I live in Essex and on my last film I had to travel to a hill just outside Aylesbury (not too far from Pinewood) every morning, a 1.5 hour journey each way and I was not paid mileage nor given the option to stay overnight. At the end of the film we had 2 weeks in Chatham, Kent - a 30 minute drive for me. I got a hotel and per diems for the whole time!

Win some lose some...

Sadly for all us east of London people, we'll always have to accept a lot of travelling on top of the days work.

Regards, Chris

#5 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

Ehhhh John haven't spoken to you in a while! Hope things are going well for ya.

As for building a studio, screw it. Mind you, building a smaller studio, but with lighting rigs (scaffolding or something cheap like that) might be of interest to a lot of small time film makers. A friend of mine is going all the way out to Bulgaria to shoot their film, so it might still be a possibility. I mean after all Kent's the back garden of London so it's not too far.

At the moment I'm still working on producing and directing a film shot within a studio (maybe.. DP'ing). I've worked on other peoples films inside studios but have never actually set it all up myself. Just love to build a set and do it the proper way, as opposed to shooting in existing locations which is what I always end up doing.

Thing is I have free access to a large(ish) location, although it hasn't not got the facilities to start hooking up lights e.t.c. So I still need to get hold of some scaffolding, aswell as some lights.. which don't come cheap.

If it's any interest to anybody if you're looking out for cheap(ish) lights, check out portaflash DL1000 continuous lights. http://www.jessops.c...=&WORD_SEARCH=N&

And plus working in Jessop's I can get you a good discount on it (trade price + VAT), I think when I last checked the price I could get it for something like £140. (Based in Bromley by the way)

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith, 25 January 2006 - 07:36 PM.

#6 matthew david burton

matthew david burton
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:41 PM

Depends how far north you want to go !
If you can get up to the north of england you have big studios in manchester and leeds etc.
Also you have highly tallented local crews that are sic of travelling to london to work.
So basicly theirs no need to run a crew from london if the hole production is based elswhere !

My friend works for for jessop's £420 sounds good for a 3 point lighting kit with stands, barn doors etc.
thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Cheers
-matt

Edited by matthew david burton, 25 January 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine