8 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

So my most recent employers are trying to capture the dvcpro50 footage we shot this weekend, but in Final Cut pro 5, they can't find dvcpro50 24p listed in the choices for the capture presets. They've tried capturing as dvcpro hd, but the program aborts. I suggested going to apple support and looking for a dvcpro50 codec to download, but that seems to have been unhelpful. I can't be sure they're using the "proper" IEEE 1394 interface.

Any ideas???

JwR

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:48 PM

Check the website for updates. I had a problem with HDV and premiere until I looked online and found the HDV patch. May not be that, but thats a good starting point

#3 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hi, what version of Final Cut and OS you running? Also, can you give me a little info on the hardware configuration and the deck model?

Regards,

Josh

#4 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

DV50 doesn't show up in the regular "Easy Setup" list. You need to check a little radio button or something off to the side in order to display the full list, and it's in there. There's nothing to download, support for it is built-in.

#5 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

So my most recent employers are trying to capture the dvcpro50 footage we shot this weekend, but in Final Cut pro 5, they can't find dvcpro50 24p listed in the choices for the capture presets. They've tried capturing as dvcpro hd, but the program aborts. I suggested going to apple support and looking for a dvcpro50 codec to download, but that seems to have been unhelpful. I can't be sure they're using the "proper" IEEE 1394 interface.

Any ideas???

JwR

Like Gordon said, it's DV50 NTSC. If you shot 16x9 make sure you select "anamorphic". There won't be any 24p to select at capture since what you have is 60i coming from the tape. If you shot 24p Advanced, then that is in your sequence presets, but the tape is still 60i on the way in (capture) it's not 24p until you do the pulldown afterward. I think I've got that right.

#6 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

There won't be any 24p to select at capture since what you have is 60i coming from the tape. If you shot 24p Advanced, then that is in your sequence presets, but the tape is still 60i on the way in (capture) it's not 24p until you do the pulldown afterward.

Oh, and one other thing, if you're capturing over firewire, and if you shot in 24pAdvanced, in the Capture Settings, you should select "Remove Advanced Pulldown" cuz it can do it in real time upon capture, saving you a step, and you'll get smaller file sizes (5.5 MB/s). And yes, technically the frame rate you'll want to select in that window is still 29.97. It's your sequence that should be 23.98 fps. The nice thing about anamorphic is that if you forget to check the box for it in your Capture Settings, the only thing it screws up is the aspect of the logging window, you can always fix the clips by putting a checkmark in the Anamorphic column in your bin afterwards for each intended 16:9 clip (of course you had to shoot it that way first).

#7 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

Gordon,

Thanks! I relayed the info by voice mail and will now wait w/ baited breath to see if this solves the problem. We quite specifically did not shoot advanced ... no chance of returning to film.

#8 Brant Collins

Brant Collins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Producer
  • Little Rock, Arkansas

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

video settings[attachment=951:attachment]

#9 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:52 AM

I'm told it (dv50-ntsc) worked ... so thanks!

CineTape

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Opal

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks