Book Reccomendation for 16

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Sander

Matt Sander
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:52 PM

Hey,

I'm not a first time filmmaker, but I am looking to expand my repertoire as a cinematographer. I have recently been hired as the DP on a 22 minute short being shot on super16 (with the Arri SR3), and I am looking to get a book that will help me learn more about lighting and planning for a variety of scenes and styles of narrative. I would like it to be specific to film and not video, if possible.

Any suggestions? Books you've learned a lot from? I'm not new to filmmaking, so I do have a good knowledge base, so maybe a book that skips the more basic elements of the craft?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, thanks a lot!

Edited by Matt Sander, 25 January 2006 - 11:54 PM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:30 AM

Well, the book "Cinematography" (Third Edition) by Kris Malkiewicz & myself is mainly written for students shooting 16mm, so it may be a good place to start.

But in terms of lighting, there's Malkiewicz' "Film Lighting", Ross Lowell's "Matters of Light & Depth", but honestly, I learned more by studying movies and paintings and copying the lighting that I liked from those. And studying natural light.

#3 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:05 PM

Well, the book "Cinematography" (Third Edition) by Kris Malkiewicz & myself is mainly written for students shooting 16mm, so it may be a good place to start.

But in terms of lighting, there's Malkiewicz' "Film Lighting", Ross Lowell's "Matters of Light & Depth", but honestly, I learned more by studying movies and paintings and copying the lighting that I liked from those. And studying natural light.

+1

also, bring on a gaffer, so you don't have to worry about doing the lighting, and you can focus more on your shots.

#4 Matt Sander

Matt Sander
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:16 PM

+1

also, bring on a gaffer, so you don't have to worry about doing the lighting, and you can focus more on your shots.

Yeah, I have a good gaffer on this shoot and he has been very helpful. Stock tests come back tomorrow so.. fingers crossed.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC