#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:39 PM

My camera uses 6 volt, 12 amp for power. I have a 12volt battery belt with a standard 4 pin balanced connector. My father told me I could easily convert my 12 vot output to 6 volt with a simple reostat. My question is where can I get a 4 pin male camera plug and how would I wire it to create an adaptor from 4 pin to 2 pin? Thanks

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:09 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure using a passive regulator (such as a rheostat) would be such a fantastic idea in this case. A resistive regulator like that will vary the output with the current drawn, and that'll probably change as the camera warms up and film shifts in the mag.

If you need 12 amps at 6 volts, then I'd just go out and buy some lead-acid cells from someone like Yuasa, or if you need it to work professionally, buy or build some 6V NiCd packs.

Phil

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

I should have mentioned that the Konvas 1m I have, runs on a reostat motor from the factory. I found 6 volt 13amp batteries made by Helios that would work but I thought a 12 volt kicked down to 6 volts by a second reostat at the power plug and running more amps would last longer in the field and I already have the battery belt. I'm not sure if that makes a differance in your assesment of my prediciment, but I would imagine that even if I used a 6 volt battery setup, when the motor heats up and the load on the motor changes, the voltage and the motor's speed would still drop. I don't know if running a reostat to a reostat motor would increase this drop if your original power soarce has more voltage and more amps to begin with or it's the same, less or more when running a direct power source with less votage and amps to the single reostat on the motor. What's your opinion?

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:16 AM

Hi,

My opinion is, use 6V batteries or a proper 6V regulator. Anything else risks damaging the camera.

Phil

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

I agree with Phil. You can buy 6v lead acid cells cheap. Wire them in parallel to increase amperage ans you'll have a power source that will run your camera for a very long time. Safe, simple, cheap.

#6 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:32 PM

Hi,I had a similar situation. I think tobin cinema systems already makes what you need. I purchased a pigtail from them and now I am able to use 12v 4 pin XLR batteries with my Arri M cameras.

http://www.tobincine....com/page3.html

#7 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

As to convert the 4 pin to a 2 pin plug, usually, it's 1 -, 4 +, but you'd better check... Opening the 4 pin plug should co,firm there are only to wires and where they are connected, and as to determine wich one is + and wich one is -, take a voltmeter.

A 4 pin Canon plug should be easy to find in a electronic components store.

People in LA could give you an adress...

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the website, I put it in my favorites and shot them off an email. I'll let you know what happens. Also thanks for the advise on the 4 pin plug I'll check th polarity. I suspect it's correct though, I used it a lot with my JVC GY-500 dv camera.

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:30 PM

Well, I got some information from Clive at Tobin Canera Systems. He did some research and recomended the same thing as everyone else did, use 6 volt batteries in parrellel, however he did recommend something novel for a power supply, a 5 volt, 20amp computer power supply, He said it was the cheapest way to go. He said it would run slow, 5/6s as fast as a 6 volt, but would work so I guess to get to 24fps you would just adjust the motor to a higher indicated frame rate and watch the tach. I just thought I would share this information and ask if anyone has tried this. annother thing do watts make a diffence in any way? (something I forgot to ask Clive). Thanks

Edited by Capt.Video, 31 January 2006 - 03:30 PM.

CineLab

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery