#1 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:51 PM

If you had to go to go to an island with access to electricity and you could only take one light what would it be and why. Would it be a KinoFlo(I am guessing that will be David Mullens answer), A soft box,the sun,etc... Be creative, and I think this could be a interesting thread.

I would proably have to say a 1k frenel, because I can use it directly,bounce it off walls,and etc.. Very small and versatile.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:51 AM

If you had to go to go to an island with access to electricity and you could only take one light what would it be and why. Would it be a KinoFlo(I am guessing that will be David Mullens answer), A soft box,the sun,etc... Be creative, and I think this could be a interesting thread.

I would proably have to say a 1k frenel, because I can use it directly,bounce it off walls,and etc.. Very small and versatile.

Hi,

I've thought about this a few times. Actually I would take 2 lights! A 10K and a Dedolight 24v 150w!

With 10k I can create both a hard or soft light, key or fill.

Stephen

#3 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

Hi,

I've thought about this a few times. Actually I would take 2 lights! A 10K and a Dedolight 24v 150w!

With 10k I can create both a hard or soft light, key or fill.

Stephen

Wow thats a huge difference in power, how would you vary the 10k into soft light fill?

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:13 AM

Wow thats a huge difference in power, how would you vary the 10k into soft light fill?

Hi,

Bounce it off a foamcore.

Stephen

#5 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:38 PM

Stephen,

Your comment reminds me of something Constantine Makris said in the October 1998 American Cinematographer referring to his work on Law & Order, "I once lit a scene with just those two lights; we had the 18K through the window and used the pencil-sized Kino as a minuscule eyelight."

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

Stephen,

Your comment reminds me of something Constantine Makris said in the October 1998 American Cinematographer referring to his work on Law & Order, "I once lit a scene with just those two lights; we had the 18K through the window and used the pencil-sized Kino as a minuscule eyelight."

Brian,

Actually an 18K and a Dedo would be a better combination! However thinking in terms of weight, cabeling etc. then mabe a 4/6K Par and the Dedo would be the winning minimalist kit! FWIW I don't very often specify a 10K because of its size, but with a good sized crew its no problem.

Cheers,

Stephen

The Slider

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

CineLab

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC