Does Spielberg cut his films the traditional way?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 no_soft_shots

no_soft_shots
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:31 AM

I've heard that Michael Kahn still cuts Spielberg's films the traditional way, on Film. Is that true?

If so has Janusz Kaminski ever done a DI on any of Spielbergs films? Or has he only be able to DI the computer effect shots?

cheers

#2 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:45 AM

It's true. Spielberg had a flatbed in his hotel room during the filmings of Munich. He's devoted to film - one of his most famous lines is "I'll shoot on film until the last lab in the world closes".

#3 Arni Heimir

Arni Heimir
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Other
  • Reykjavik/Barcelona

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

The Terminal went through a DI finish. Look for the Efilm logo in the closing titles.

#4 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

American Cinematographer, Feb. 2006, p. 41 re Munich:

"Kaminski and most of the camera crew watched rushes every day. "Steven doesn't watch footage from a scene until he's got the whole scene on his KEM in the editing room," says [camera operator Mitch] Dubin. "But his editing is never more than a few days behind what we're shooting. You can't do that unless you film with a strong concept of how you want to cut the film. We shot a 175-page script in 60-some days, as well as some additional material. And two weeks after we wrapped principal photography, Steven had a locked picture cut."

Dubin has apparently made 9 films with Kaminski and Spielberg.

In the same issue, American documentary filmmaker Frederick Wiseman talks about his reasons for continuing to edit on a Steenbeck.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:27 PM

So far, "The Terminal" is their only film to go through a DI. However, "War of the Worlds" and "Minority Report" had gobs of digital efx shots cut into the negative.

#6 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

I've heard that Michael Kahn still cuts Spielberg's films the traditional way, on Film. Is that true?

If so has Janusz Kaminski ever done a DI on any of Spielbergs films? Or has he only be able to DI the computer effect shots?

cheers

The decision of whether to cut a film on a flat bed and whether to put it through a D.I. are entirely separate issues. Some D.I.s were originally done after the negative was cut and assembled. However, the trend has been moving toward scanning selects and then digitally assembling the master. Either approach involves conforming to a cut list, and whether that list is derived from a flat bed or an Avid is immaterial.

#7 Greg Gross

Greg Gross
  • Sustaining Members
  • 869 posts
  • Harrisburg,PA

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:54 PM

Good article in AC(Feb.) about Mr. Frederick Wiseman. He received ASC award for distinction
this year. ASC Award of Distinction. Photograph of Mr. Wiseman at his "6 plate" Steenbeck flat-
bed on page 71. The flatbed(a deliberate process) that allows him more time for thought and re-
flection. Here's a man after my heart,listen all- "When we shoot,I need a cameraman who is com-
fortable with changing positions frequently and following the action." "We have to move as if the
camera and microphone are part of our bodies."- Mr. Frederick Wiseman,AC/Feb. 2006. Sweet
Jesus there are some people out there doing what I believe and feel, I thought I was all alone and
crazy! Photo of Mr. Steven Spielberg-Director, behind the director's finder on page 37,on set of Mun-
ich.

Greg Gross

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Opal

CineTape

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets