• Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:41 AM

friday january 27th, 2006

hey everyone,

i know this may not technically be the right place for this but i'm hoping that people will see this and respond:

i just landed a low-budget super 16mm music video in london, england in early february and i'm looking for a couple things (i'm from los angeles). if anyone call help me out with any of the following please reply to this post.

1.) some good rental houses for super 16mm camera gear and lighting equipment (ideally a place that deals with both camera and lighting but if you know of places that do only one or the other that's fine).

2.) a good 1st ac! :)

3.) a good gaffer! :)

4.) and last but definitely not least a good key grip! :) :)

all crew positions are paid but this is low-budget music video world so i'm not looking for kaminski's favorite first ac or oliver stapleton's gaffer. not that I wouldn't love to work with these people...it's just that i'm afraid that i can't afford them.

thank you very much for any and all help.

best,

evan winter

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:53 AM

Hi,

If you're after a spark with equipment you could call Mark Gibbon, with whom I've worked on a couple of promos. He has a small truck (well, van) stuffed with stuff and is extremely reasonably priced and very competent.

About the only place to go for camera gear is straight to Arri, but I've had a reasonable package from Mark Hope-Jones, who owns an SR1 upgrade and I believe works for them anyway.

For an AC, try Anna Carrington.

I occasionally operate Steadicam for shoots like this.

I'll message you with numbers for these people.

Phil

#3 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:43 AM

as Phil said above but here are some others

There are quite a few people who will dry hire S16 kit - as well
ICE film for Aaton kit
One8Six - have some good deals
Low cost gripping etc - I think it is called Kitmonkey or something (Mail me and I can try get the details)

thanks

Rolfe

#4 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:35 AM

As camera rentals go, Arri and Take2Film are quite good.

For gaffers, please talk to Martin Maund at Arri Focus (martin@arrifocus.com) and he'll set you up with some great gaffers. I use a couple of guys myself, all equally good:

Reuben Garrett
Tony Miller
Barry Miller
Josh Breckeen
Harry Wiggins
Charlie Panayi.

Top notch guys, very experienced. Josh is a transplanted yank, so if you want to be able to talk your mother tongue, he's the guy to get (and he often brings along his Texan spark Wes who looks like he just stepped out of a Ford western with creases on his jeans and big boots - great guy). You can also call AFM lighting if you prefer and they can set you up with the same guys (as long as you get your lighting through either of them).

Grips and Focus Pullers (as they're called here) are normally booked through diary services. The big ones are SuzCruz, Wizzo, Carlin and Callbox.
www.suzcruz.co.uk
www.callboxdiary.co.uk
www.wizzoandco.co.uk
www.carlin-crew.co.uk

I normally work with grips Niall Heuston, Pete Nash or Tom North from SuzCruz. But for this maybe you should call Nick Miles who's a young grip, but very good. He can be reached at grips@nicholasmiles.co.uk.
There's also Alex Mott at Wizzo and tons of other guys.

My focus pullers are normally Charlie England (SuzCruz) and Stuart Barrell (Exec, sue@execmanagement.co.uk), but there are tons of good ones at these diary services. If you're really strapped for cash, get clapper/loader Kate McDonough at SuzCruz to step up to focus pulling for you - she's done that for me on two occasions and she's good enough if the shots aren't too complicated. Maybe she'll agree to do it for her clapping/loading rate:-)

Good luck.

#5 Evan Winter

Evan Winter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:24 PM

whew,

thank you all so much already. i was hoping to find a starting place by asking for help on the forums and you guys have given me a lot more than that! it can be a little unnerving trying to shoot in completely foreign territory and i'm really glad that there is a community where i can get personal recommendations and suggestions - a personal referral means a lot to me. so again, thank you everyone and if you have more suggestions keep 'em coming. i'll be following up on all these leads starting monday (or maybe sunday night real late, seeing as england is like 8hrs. ahead of me) ;)

thanks,

evan winter
www.evanwinter.com

#6 Evan Winter

Evan Winter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

hello,

i wanted to thank everyone who helped me out on the forums last week. i just back into l.a from england tonight and i had a great shoot. i plan to post some stills soon and if there's any interest i'd love to talk about the cinematographic aspects of this particular video. but the main reason for this post is to say that this forum has proven to be a serious and very valuable resource to me time and time again and that without help from a lot of people on here (phil rhodes et al!) i would not have been able to travel 8000km and complete this job! thanks,

evan winter

p.s - through my brief research i found soho images to be the 'best value' place to process and then transfer (wow the prices for everything [production equipment - food] are insane in england). but i found the crew prices to be similar to the u.s. and the crews were far far above par. excellent people and i had an incredible time working with them.

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

CineTape

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies