6 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Smith

Mark Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

Okay, I.ve been posting a lot, and like always - I apologize. I am curious about something. I have been looking at DuAll cameras S16 packages, and they offer an XTR for 15,000. I assume there is a difference between the XTR and the XTR prod. that is currently shown on aaton.com, but am having a very rough time finding anything via google.com or these boards about the standard XTR camera. I.m also having the same problem looking up the LTR-7. I was wondering if anyone could give me an overview of A) what is different/same between the XTR and XTR prod. and B) What the difference is between the LTR-7 S16 and the XTR/XTR Prod.

Thanks,
Mark.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

Okay, I.ve been posting a lot, and like always - I apologize. I am curious about something. I have been looking at DuAll cameras S16 packages, and they offer an XTR for 15,000. I assume there is a difference between the XTR and the XTR prod. that is currently shown on aaton.com, but am having a very rough time finding anything via google.com or these boards about the standard XTR camera. I.m also having the same problem looking up the LTR-7. I was wondering if anyone could give me an overview of A) what is different/same between the XTR and XTR prod. and B) What the difference is between the LTR-7 S16 and the XTR/XTR Prod.

Thanks,
Mark.

Hi,

If you post the serial no. of the camera you want information, then Nathan who responded on the other thread can possibly help you! The Aaton range has evolved, many cameras had different factory specs from new, many have had upgrades. Take a trip to Abelcine, they will be able to show you a selection of cameras. Then you will know what you need to spend!
The LTR-7 cost more to service than a later camera.

Stephen

#3 Mark Smith

Mark Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:26 PM

There.s no serial # online, and I haven.t popped into the store yet...the info is as follows

AATON XTR Super-16 $ 15,000
Regular/Super-16 Switchable, 2x400' mags, on-off right handgrip, 2x on-board batteries w/ charger, Extension Viewfinder, Case.

AATON LTR-7 Super-16 $ 7,500
3x 400' Magazines, Regular/Super-16mm, 2x on-board Batteries, Charger, Right Handgrip, Original Aaton Mount, Case.
extremely quiet.
Arri PL Mount Upgrade add $ 1,000

I.ll have to go to abel...is that a strictly new product shop, or do they sell re-furbs/used as well?

Mark.

#4 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

Give Jeff a call at the number on my sig. We sell new and used packages.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

There.s no serial # online, and I haven.t popped into the store yet...the info is as follows

AATON XTR Super-16 $ 15,000
Regular/Super-16 Switchable, 2x400' mags, on-off right handgrip, 2x on-board batteries w/ charger, Extension Viewfinder, Case.

AATON LTR-7 Super-16 $ 7,500
3x 400' Magazines, Regular/Super-16mm, 2x on-board Batteries, Charger, Right Handgrip, Original Aaton Mount, Case.
extremely quiet.
Arri PL Mount Upgrade add $ 1,000

I.ll have to go to abel...is that a strictly new product shop, or do they sell re-furbs/used as well?

Mark.

Hi,

Drop by at Abel, they sell new and used. They also have a rental fleet of cameras so they can show you a selection of kit. I have had a look at the DuAll site. They sold an LTR on Ebay about 3 years ago.- it got re -auctioned several times last year with no takers! There is a thread about it!
If you buy from Abel the price may be a little higher but they are an Aaton Agent. Any camera they sell will be very good!

Stephen.

#6 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

Mark,

I think that it might be possible to buy an Aaton XTR privately for $15,000, with the features you describe, but I'd be nervous about one being sold for that price through a dealer that either owns and is re-selling the camera or has it on consignment. I would also assume, until established otherwise, that the camera might need 2-3k worth of work.

Also, I would not buy an Aaton or Arriflex camera for that kind of money unless it has been evaluated by an agent of the manufacturer. How this gets paid for is between you and the vendor.

As far as I know, Abel Cine is predominently in the business of renting gear and selling new gear. You will notice that there is not a used section, such as Visual Products or Cinematechnic has, on the Abel Cine website. Nathan can correct me, but I think that when it comes to used gear, they essentially play the role, occasional at that, of broker between clients.

I think that there is actually quite a lot of information on this site and on the net generally about the LTR, XTR and XTR Prod, so maybe you should look a little more. On the later models, you should certainly look at www.aaton.com and websites run by Aaton agents, one of which is Abel Cine.

#7 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2128 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

I would definitely talk to the folks at Abel Cine Tech if you want to get an Aaton. I know they were selling a single owner LTR54 in Super 16 with mags and batteries and the lot for a very good price. And it was the latest model LTR54 with a high serial number so it would be no problem servicing that camera for years to come. Something that cannot be said for the LTR7 you are looking at.

-Tim

The Slider

Cadrage Directors Viewfinder

Pro 8mm

CineLab

K5600 Lighting

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

NIBL

Robert Starling