Michael Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Other
  • Toronto, Canada via Huntington Beach, California

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

Hello All,

I just picked up a Chinon 2500GL (projector) and it's in great condition and a good buy for the money. It comes with a little brush (kind of like a bottle brush) which is used to clean the film gate (which is all metal). It seems that every time I run a film in the projector the gate is always picking up dust. Is there anything I can spray on the gate or any kind of cleaner that will repel dust?

Sidenote: the Chinon 2500GL has a rheostat that you can change with a screw driver. So, you can make it project at more than 24 fps. The only trouble is: how would you be able to tell what frame rate you are at (the metal knob that you can change has no numbers on it). My Canon 814XLS can shoot at 36 fps, so if I can get my 2500GL to project at 36 fps I'll have kind of a Maxivision going on...well, kind of.

Mike

Edited by Michael Ryan, 28 January 2006 - 09:16 PM.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hello All,

I just picked up a Chinon 2500GL (projector) and it's in great condition and a good buy for the money. It comes with a little brush (kind of like a bottle brush) which is used to clean the film gate (which is all metal). It seems that every time I run a film in the projector the gate is always picking up dust. Is there anything I can spray on the gate or any kind of cleaner that will repel dust?

Sidenote: the Chinon 2500GL has a rheostat that you can change with a screw driver. So, you can make it project at more than 24 fps. The only trouble is: how would you be able to tell what frame rate you are at (the metal knob that you can change has no numbers on it). My Canon 814XLS can shoot at 36 fps, so if I can get my 2500GL to project at 36 fps I'll have kind of a Maxivision going on...well, kind of.
Mike

Some of the debris may be caused by abrasion of the projector gate against the film surface and edges. Proper print lubrication really helps reduce this abrasion, much as waxing an automobile or fine furniture helps them resist scratching. Use one of the proprietary film cleaners that contains a lubricant to lubricate the print.

#3 dd3stp233

dd3stp233
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

To find the rate that the projector is running. Measure a lenght of film and run it through the projector and time it with a stop watch (or a regular watch that measures seconds). Your then use a film calculator and that will tell you the fps speed. You could do this several times for different settings on the rheosat.

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Opal

Abel Cine

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Visual Products